Tarm or EKO ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhpf

Dec 6, 2007
Michigan
If you guys could buy same size for the same mony - which one and why?
Leaning towards Tarm

My main consideration was the wood length. Mine is all 24 inches.

The Tarm has a 20-year warranty vs. 5 for the EKO.

From what I can gather, the EKO 60 has a few more standard features than the Tarm Solo 60 (turbulators, mechanical hx cleaner, idle maintenance blower come to mind). You should also consider the BioMax if you're in the market for an imported gasifier.

As far as I know, they're both fine pieces of equipment.

The BioMax option?
I have seen both in operation and the Tarm gasification looks "more refined"
I have enough wood for this season cut - 25% is over 20" long
Will I have to split it down to 3-5" or will it take half splits 5-7"?
One guy said the EKO design is similar to what Tarm had a dozen yers ago

The EKO will take as big a piece as you can handle. I don't know about the Tarm.

The BioMax looks very similar to me to the EKO. Both are made in Poland and I believe both have the same controller. Our one member who owns one, rreinhart, just got his going a couple of days ago. I think me mentioned to me that it has more standard features than the EKO.

Here's a link to the U.S. distributor's website.

http://www.newhorizoncorp.com

I don't think the basic design is much different between these various brands and models, at least not the gasifying ones. Econoburn is another similar boiler, as is the Wood Gun, I believe. Both domestically manufactured. And there are some other imports that look similar as well.

The Seton, Adobe, Garn, Blue Forge, Greenwood, etc. look like a pretty different animal to me.

next time I load up my tarm I will measure the firebox depth. I know they say 20" but I'll check it just for the heck of it and post back.

nofossil said:
My impression was that he Tarm was a little better made - fit and finish, at least. When I got mine, there was a huge price difference. I really can't say that I've had any problems with the EKO, though.

How long did you have the Tarm?
Do you think the current gasification on Tarm is better design then EKO?

jjhpf said:
nofossil said:
My impression was that he Tarm was a little better made - fit and finish, at least. When I got mine, there was a huge price difference. I really can't say that I've had any problems with the EKO, though.

How long did you have the Tarm?
Do you think the current gasification on Tarm is better design then EKO?

Sorry, let me clarify. I bought an EKO in 2005. I looked at the Tarm, but never owned one. I don't know anything about the latest gasification design on the Tarm, but the EKO seems to work quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.