Tarm Solo 40 Installation Photo's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jekmech

Jul 18, 2008
Central PA
From May through October 2008 I worked in my spare time on the installation of a Tarm Solo 40 with storage. The system was installed in my log home in Central PA that I built in 2001. I had planned on putting a Tarm in since I built the home but the oil prices this year gave me the incentive I needed to get off my butt and do it. As luck would have it I was fortunate to have found the Hearth.com website early on. I have since become addicted to it and learn something new every day. The help and information I received from the site could not have a dollar sign put on it. I fired my system up on October 10th and to date I have not burned a drop of oil. I have just posted 85 pictures taken during the installation in a photo album at http://jekmech.photoshop.com. It is the only album in my gallery and is open to all for their education, enlightenment or amusement. I welcome comment and questions along with criticism. If I had more time I would refine the album as I am just learning Photoshop Elements and that has been about as much of a project as the installation of my Tarm. The photos may be a bit out of sequence.

Tarm provided a piping layout concept diagram which provided some information but as they say in their dislaimer it is only a concept drawing and that the final design, installation and code compliance details are the responsibility of the designer/installer of the system. In this case I spent a lot of time reading, studying, and thinking the project out. I wish I could give you the exact time in hours it took but I was too busy with the install and all of lifes other obligations (like my full time job) to keep track. The planning was constant and dynamic and from the start during the middle of May until I fired it for the first time around the 10th of October it was a very large part of my life. The actual physical work was done entirely by me with a helper present approximately ten percent of the time. I would guess that overall I averaged 8 to 10 hours a week with some weeks more and some less. I also had some vacation time and as much motorcycle riding as I could get in or it would have been done sooner. There were also delays as I sought out parts sources and waited for them to arrive. For anyone thinking about doing such a project I would suggest you understand it is a major comitment and if you start it be prepared to stick it out and see it through. Now that it is up and running I find myself spending a fair amount of time polishing the pipes and watching the guages. I just like mechanical things and don't mind it at all. My wife thinks I have a mistress hidden in the furnance room because I spend so much time there.

REALLY nice, and thanks for sharing. Seeing the scope of your project and hearing of the time that it has taken makes me less frustrated at myself for not having mine quite up and running yet (but _very_ soon, especially with incentive of sub-zero weather coming soon)

That is a beautiful home and a nice looking installation. Thanks for sharing.

What do your copper coils sit on to protect the liner?

The tank coils are set on several 2" x 2" square x 1/2" thick wood blocks with a piece of tank liner material glued on the bottom so that liner material meets liner material.

DAM, it's an awsome feat anybody would be proud of an install that looks that good..Care to share an estimated cost??Dave

I still have not totaled up the exact final cost out of fear of having a heart attack. What really drove up the price was the extreme rise in copper pipe and fitting prices that took place at the time of my installation. What not to long ago was a $2.50 fitting suddenly became a $5.00 to $7.00 fitting, ect. In any event I would put the final cost at about 15 to 16 grand but keep in mind the labor was all mine with the exception of about $500.00 for my helper. Not cheap by any means but remember when I put it in oil was at $4.50 +/- a gallon and even though it has at the moment dropped around here to about $2.33 (and heading back up as I write) I don't expect it to stay there. If it stays low it will just extend the pay off time but at least I won't be giving my money to our oil "friends" in the Middle East, South America and wherever else it is coming in from at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.