Tarm Solo Plus mechanical damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ME wood boiler

Jan 23, 2017
Maine
We have a Tarm Solo Plus that is around ten years old. We've just started having a problem with the mechanical damper that you shut manually once the fire is burning well. It has become difficult to shut down. Usually, the damper locks in place easily against the door to the firebox. Now, unless you get it just right, the handle pops back up and the damper doesn't close. We've called the Tarm folks and all they could suggest was that the handle might be bent. There's no evidence of that and the mechanics of the handle on the inside look reasonable. Has anyone had this issue? Should we just buy a new handle? Thanks for any suggestions.

This also is the 10th heating season for my Tarm Solo Plus. Have not experienced your problem. I suggest that it is time to open it up, remove the plate above the firetubes, closely examine the entire damper and closing rod mechanism, and see what isn't catching to lock it down. You may need to clean the damper door, clean where it closes and seals against the firebox, etc. There may be an obstruction that isn't letting the damper door close all the way and lock down. It will be interesting to see what you find.

Same hear, no problem after almost 7 seasons. Like Jim said take top off and inspect. Rather easy mechanical operation. There is a latching point that could have worn away, the spring might have worn out, or the door to mating surface in firebox surface may have accumulated slag and/or creosote thus not allowing latch. Not really too many things it could be. Good luck.