Tarm Switch Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Is anyone familiar with the "Tarm Switch Control"? I've seen a tarm schematic on pressurized storage that refers to it.

Can you post the schematic or a link to it if on the web?

Here is the drawing Tarm provides which refers to their switchcontrol

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 548
It might be the same one referenced in their open storage system. If it is, it is the one made by STSS. Here is a link to the controller on the STSS site: http://www.stsscoinc.com/Products_EMC.aspx

My open storage control consists of two aquastats and a DPDT relay. One of the aquastats was already in the system, the other one cost me $60, and the relay with socket shipped was only $20. They want $285 for the STSS one. I am sure it is not much more than a relay in a fancy box. Perhaps nofossil can design one for you that does the same thing. I can pm any who wants it a wiring diagram tarm sent me on the EMC controller.

When you say relay with socket, can you actually buy a box that the relay sockets snap into?

Chuck - Below are links to the relay and socket I ordered. The relay pops into the socket and the socket has screws so no soldering will be involved. I will house it in a regular metal junction box. However I am sure fancier boxes exist.

DPDT Relay
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=Z787-ND
Socket
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=Z791-ND

The relay is to ensure that my two pumps that are pointed at one another in series do not run at the same time. I have two Honeywell 6006 aquastats, one on the output of each boiler that controls charging and drawing. These aquastats have a differential setting so they turn on if temp is needed and shut off if it falls below a certain temp. The one on my tarm has worked well, so I hope the one I put on the oil boiler will as well.

Thanks WNO, using the digikey links you sent me, I cross referenced with Grainger where I get free shipping and placed my order.

Excellent drafting. Thanks for that.

I have one question. I tried to use the dip tubes with the heat exchanger and could not get the pump to work.. Now I understand how they work so I put it below the water line and primed the tubes but now go. Any secrets to this?

Once primed they should work fine and not loose the prime. My guess is that there is still air in the line. If you have a drain valve on the line, try hooking a garden hose to it to get the air out and really prime it. I was think of putting a drain valve at the high point of the line on the top of the tank end with a ball valve next to it. That way I could shut the ball valve and turn on the garden hose to prim the line from that point. Then turn on the charging pump, open the ball valve and slowly close the drain valve. Haven't tried it yet though. Any suggestions or experience from others would be appreciated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.