Tarm Temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
Well working on my third burn in Tarm Solo 40 and I cant get the temps on the boiler up over 160 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?? Wood is dry. It sounds/looks like its gassiifying. I do ge some smoke out the stack but doesnt seem that bad. Any ideas or am I just messed up......

lawandorder said:
Well working on my third burn in Tarm Solo 40 and I cant get the temps on the boiler up over 160 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?? Wood is dry. It sounds/looks like its gassiifying. I do ge some smoke out the stack but doesnt seem that bad. Any ideas or am I just messed up......
What are you heating? Baseboard? Tank? Floors? Is it possible that the heat load is so high that you are drwaing away so much heat that it can't get above 160?

I have four zones of baseboard. All the thermostats are turned down now so there is no call for heat but its still at 158. I have DHW turned down as well. I can see the learning curve is going to be a while.

I see a few possibilities:

1. The temp gauge is broken and it really is above that. (find another way to verify temp)
2. You have the temp dial set too low and it is shutting the draft fan off prematurely. (Is it idling at 158*? The dial pulls out a bit to get past the set screw to turn it beyond that point. Maybe your set screw was put in too low?
3. The wood isn't really reaching gasification and not burning hot enough. (make sure the gasification path into the lower chamber is clear of ash and coals. Make sure there is wood near the front of the firebox as it burns from front to back.)
4. The primary/secondary air is not adjusted correctly. Use a stack temp gauge and follow directions in the manual for setting this ratio up.

That is all I can think of for now, but I am sure there are more things. . .

If you used the plumbing schematics from Tarm you should have the Termovar mixing valves and also a ball valve somewhere between supply and return on the boiler. When I hooked mine up the valve was fully open and I couldnt keep the boiler near 180. With it cut back no problems.

I'm new to the site and new to burning wood for heat so please excuse my ignorance. I have just installed a Solo 60 and I too am having problems getting things up to temp. Frankly, I'm having trouble keeping this thing in gassification mode. I don't have storage yet and no DHW, just baseboard. I must be doing something wrong.

If you guys have doubled checked all of the plumbing and everything looks right, I would consider the wood. Maybe find some really dry wood and a lot of kindling. For instance maybe you could try burning a load of wood from a couple old pallets. You can be pretty sure that pallet wood will burn very hot. If you still have the problem with very dry wood, then you can eliminate that as a possible cause.

I can't stress enough what others have said here about the importance of getting a good bed of coals before closing the top door and turning the fan on. Once gasification starts and is consistent it should be fine until the wood is gone. I get the fire going with the bypass open and the top door open with the flames going up and really roaring. Then I close the door so there is only about 1/2-1" open and push the bypass as closed as it can be with the door still open the crack. That redirects the flame down and into the secondary chamber. I leave it that way until there appears to be sufficient coals in the bottom to start gasification and then I turn the fan on and after a second secure the door and push the bypass into the locked closed position. I wait 20 seconds and then open ash door a crack to make sure it is gasifying and stays gasifying. Put your driest wood at the bottom with some kindling just above it and either propane torch it or stick your newspaper in with the kindling. Good luck!

Don't underestimate the learning curve. I've burned wood for decades, but always in a woodstove - I thought there really wasn't anything I needed to know about building a good fire. The first few fires in my Tarm were frustrating, but you learn quickly. Dry wood is important, and use your driest stuff to start the fire - once it is going well you can use "OK" wood if that's all you have. I've only been running about a month, and still once in a while I get a really crappy burn going and nothing seems to work right.

Have confidence the problems you are having are temporary.

I really appreciate the help. I have purchased 5 Face cord of 18 month seasoned wood, I stacked and covered it top and sides all the way around. My neighbor suggested only covering the top, not the sides as it will trap moisture. Could this be right? I was trying to keep ALL rain and snow off the wood.

TC113 said:
I really appreciate the help. I have purchased 5 Face cord of 18 month seasoned wood, I stacked and covered it top and sides all the way around. My neighbor suggested only covering the top, not the sides as it will trap moisture. Could this be right? I was trying to keep ALL rain and snow off the wood.

You're neighbor is right. You need air flow through the sides.

thanks for all the help to everyone. Not getting any better yet. A lot has to do with my learning curve. Thought I had it right when I went to bed last night and the boiler temps were up to 175ish. Full load of wood and woke up this morning with house temps at 63. Yeah for me... Wife was really happy..... Apparantly the battle with air continues and bled a bunch more out. Also had programmable thermostats whcih all called for heat at the same time. again yeahhh for me..... Also did not have the damper all the way closed. Didnt realize had to push in and down to lock it closed. So I loaded it up before heading to work at 11A with a full load and I am just leaving it alone and we will see what happens when the wife gets home later tonight. I am sure I will hear quickly if there is no heat......

Status
Not open for further replies.