Tarm vs EKO 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJM17

Jun 10, 2008
Atlantic State
We're finally to the point of sending a check and signing up a contractor. Got good price quotes on a Tarm and EKO 40. Any big negative for either unit? They both seem to have good write-ups and cost is similar; use seasoned wood and water storage. Any last opinions? Many thanks!!

Fred

Based on posts on this forum, I don't think you can go too far wrong either way....whichever is available maybe your deciding factor...

Find out when you can get each unit. When I visited Tarm USA's headquarters in early June, they said that _all_ their existing inventory was already sold out (pending delivery) until a shipment expected beginning of September, and as far as I know, most dealers don't really maintain a stock-on-hand of boilers. Looking at a big room full of units and realizing every last one was sold (even scratch and dent ones) 3-4 months out really drove home how much this need to find heating alternatives is on everyone's mind.

Biggest differences I can think of is Tarm has a 20 year warranty, Eko only 5 year. Also Tarm is more established in this country than the EKO. The only person who is importing the EKO is a guy from West Virginia (Zenon Palowski?spelling?) and I don't believe he started importing them until 2004. He originally imported Atmos, then switched to Dakon, then the EKO brand. I don't know if he still imports parts for the atmos and dakon but he isn't importing them anymore. I would be somewhat concerned about product support if he goes away. In other words Tarm is more established and well supported by the Nichols. As far a build quality, efficiency etc I don't think there is much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.