Tarm's new website

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Tarm updated their website, lots of new info and products.

So Tarm is now BioHeatUSA? Looks like they still sell the Solo series but they changed the jacket design and controller. Does anyone know anything about the Froling Turbo? If it really is 92% efficient I'll be tempted to sell my Solo 40 and upgrade.

We've had a few nights in the low 30's so I cranked up the Tarm today for the first time since spring. I'm curious how many days of domestic hot water and a little night time heat my 750 gallon tank will provide without re-firing the boiler. I started the fire 5 hours ago and my tank has gone from 80 to 134. And that's with marginally dry hardwood with lots of framing lumber scraps.

Reggie

Reggie Dunlap said:
So Tarm is now BioHeatUSA?

They now sell Baxi and Froling products, in addition to Tarm, so they figured a new name was in order.

Reggie Dunlap said:
Looks like they still sell the Solo series but they changed the jacket design and controller.

I'm not sure if that is what is currently shipping, or what will be shipping after existing production is sold. The Solo Plus is only made for the US market, now. The Solo Innova is new to these shores, and is a very nice system.

Reggie Dunlap said:
Does anyone know anything about the Froling Turbo? If it really is 92% efficient I'll be tempted to sell my Solo 40 and upgrade.

I don't doubt it. Efficiencies are always variable, based upon wood type and moisture content and such, but a system with his X% more efficient than another will likely still be that much more efficient, all other variables being equal.

Of course, the Froling is not cheap. Close to 50% more than the Solo Plus. It's a nice boiler, but depending upon what you pay for wood, it may or may not be worth it...

Joe

Yeah I figured the Froling would be pricey. I don't pay much for wood so the payback would take a while. I like the idea of the computerized combustion and the ability to move the turbulators up and down to clean the tubes. That's a nice feature that the EKO's have.

BrownianHeatingTech said:
I don't doubt it. Efficiencies are always variable, based upon wood type and moisture content and such, but a system with his X% more efficient than another will likely still be that much more efficient, all other variables being equal.

Of course, the Froling is not cheap. Close to 50% more than the Solo Plus. It's a nice boiler, but depending upon what you pay for wood, it may or may not be worth it...

Joe
The boilers in Europe are tested whit a EU standard EN-303-5.It`s no different in the testing of different boilers.
The innova 50kw has 91 % efficient.Fröling Turbo 91,8%

Hansson said:

The boilers in Europe are tested whit a EU standard EN-303-5.It`s no different in the testing of different boilers.

Those numbers are based upon the testing standard, which will dictate what wood and how much.

In real life, if you burn anything else, you will have different results. May be less efficient. May be more.

I'm presuming that the Innova number you gave is for the unit with the lambda control. The Innova that Tarm is selling is the non-lambda model.

Joe

Hansson said:

Those numbers are based upon the testing standard, which will dictate what wood and how much.

In real life, if you burn anything else, you will have different results. May be less efficient. May be more.

I'm presuming that the Innova number you gave is for the unit with the lambda control. The Innova that Tarm is selling is the non-lambda model.

Joe

Yes but that way is the only way to make a good test.The innova will be 0.8% non efficient than the fröling turbo .They are not dictate what wood u shall use in the standard.They calculating the energy in the wood.And then measuring how well the heat is transfered to the boiler.

The 90% is for the Innova 50KW whit no lamda control.

The EKO 80 (non-lambda) has also been independently tested in the 90 - 91% range, but the test conditions may not reflect typical residential usage. If I remember right, it was with an inlet temperature of around 130 degrees, an outlet temp of about 140, and a really high water flow rate - 35 gpm, maybe?

I don't know the test conditions for the test that you're discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.