Tarp on wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wood shed and have used tarps for overflow. In my view (and area Michigan), if you want dry wood, it has to be covered. I have given up on the tarps though as they deteriorate and fail relatively quickly. I purchased a bunch of 2X8 galvanized roofing panels and they are perfect. I wish I had done this some time ago. I paid about 11.00 per sheet.

I've always been of the opinion that leaving the racks open during the winter is a good thing as it allowed the dry air to further season the wood. I only cover the top and first foot of each side with the tarp (happens to just fit that way) and just ignore any snow that may gather on the wood from wind or heavy snowfall. The last thing I'd want to do is trap in moisture with my tarps...now only if gortex tarps were cheap and abundant ;-)

Built a great 12 X 24 wood shed in 1991. It is now so full of crap and the tractor that the wood is all out under tarps.

Go figure.

I put tarps on today. Wood stack is in front of chain link fence. I just used nylon ties through the grommets and onto fence rail. Used 2 tarps, just enough to cover the top and front, but not sides.
I spoke too soon. Last couple of loads we burned were wet from rain and snow. Tarping from now on. How long do the tarps last? Where can you buy good ones that will last longer? These
are just those basic bright blue ones. All I could find in town. Covered our stack on metal storage with heavy clear plastic we had, using small fieldstones to hold plastic down. Really improvising here. Cutting down 2 huge maples this spring. My newphew owns a tree cutting business. Free wood! Definitely getting a log splitter.

Dylan is right. They're the best wood wrap you can't buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.