Tarps dropped and secured, ready for winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Still feels like summer but need to get ready for the wood heating season..

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_4232_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4232_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4230 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4230 (Medium).JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 167
Now is the time do do it...I laugh at at parents, they seem to always wait until it's cold/windy to put up the exterior Xmas lights.

I'm taking advantage of these mild temps to fill up the shed(4 more truck loads should so it) and finish off some other outdoors projects...these temps will soon be a distant memory. I'm considering hanging tarps for the front of the shed(other 3 sides are enclosed).

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
lots of rain here, everything that needs to be covered or in the shed is and we are ready for the winter

Good job done raybonz. How is your supply of wood for next year? Started on it yet? I need to get that section of my covered porch enclosed in plastic to keep the snow and rain out. Makes it so much nicer

That's a great idea...to bad I don't have a shed......yet! BTW, is that a cranberry bog behind your shed?;)

Reactions: raybonz
Still feels like summer but need to get ready for the wood heating season..

Ray

I am trying to figure out how to tarp my shed for the season, hard rain just pours in from the front if there is a strong wind.

I think I see bungee cords holding everything in place. Are their other tools/methods being used here?
I was just about to start a thread asking about this, so I appreciate the help.

Good job done raybonz. How is your supply of wood for next year? Started on it yet? I need to get that section of my covered porch enclosed in plastic to keep the snow and rain out. Makes it so much nicer
Thanx gasman! I have around 4 cords stacked outside of the shelter for next year.. Will get more wood in March 2013 or so..

Ray

I am trying to figure out how to tarp my shed for the season, hard rain just pours in from the front if there is a strong wind.

I think I see bungee cords holding everything in place. Are their other tools/methods being used here?
I was just about to start a thread asking about this, so I appreciate the help.
The tarps are secured up top all around the shelter. I roll them up when done burning and tightly secure them up top then drop them for burning season. I use doubled up bungee's as I find they last much longer than single ones do..

Ray

Reactions: ScotO
That's a great idea...to bad I don't have a shed......yet! BTW, is that a cranberry bog behind your shed?;)
Yes I have cranberry bogs on 3 sides of my property..

Ray

Nice I like the tarps for the sides, thats what I should do.
I find the heavy silver tarps are very durable and inexpensive if you get them from HF on sale. The tarps have worked pretty well for me and I pay no tax on the shelter probably because it is not considered a shed due to no sides..

Ray

Good to be ready when winter can come anytime now.
Watched the weather channel forecast for winter in the US,
PNW to be cooler than normal, Mid West normal to warm, toss up for the N east.
, Drought in Central US continues,
Mixed weather pattern between el nino & la nina. It may be an interesting winter for everyone. :)

Oh cmon Dave. Now you have me wondering. What the hell does "toss up" mean. o_O I live in the N east! Oh, never mind. That is just like every winter here in the N east. ;lol Ya never know what's going to happen. Makes it interesting. _g

Reactions: raybonz and ScotO
We were forecast 4 days is a row of 70 or above. So far the first two have not panned out. Still 55 at 3:45 so we won't make it today. Thursday they say 78. Wow! Now that is serious heat. I hope we don't get it.

We were forecast 4 days is a row of 70 or above. So far the first two have not panned out. Still 55 at 3:45 so we won't make it today. Thursday they say 78. Wow! Now that is serious heat. I hope we don't get it.
Been very mild here so far Dennis with night temps 50-60 for a good part of Oct. so far. Day temps running in the low to mid-60's. I don't want 78 either I am not used to that and my AC's are all out now and I want them out! Back to work next week for me..

Ray

By next week you won't even think about AC Ray. Good to hear you are heading back to work. Sounds like success to me and you did the right thing.

Ray, looks like you get plenty of sun and wind on those outside stacks, Nice set up you have there.

My wood will be making a move Friday night into covered storage.

KC

By next week you won't even think about AC Ray. Good to hear you are heading back to work. Sounds like success to me and you did the right thing.
Yes Dennis it made a big difference :) .. Are saying there is some cold weather moving in next week?

Ray

Ray, looks like you get plenty of sun and wind on those outside stacks, Nice set up you have there.

My wood will be making a move Friday night into covered storage.

KC
Thanx Ski the outside stacks get wind and sun all day pretty much. When I am done burning this season that wood gets moved into the shelter and I have 3 cords dropped C\S\D to be stacked outside. If I get any free wood that will go outside as well. Plenty of room here :)

Ray

Good job Ray. I like the idea of something on the front of the shed, and keep thinking I'll do that, but something else always comes up.
Dennis is right (for us anyway), actually starting Fri., we'll be getting a little chilly. Nothing more than 48 daytime next week.

Oh cmon Dave. Now you have me wondering. What the hell does "toss up" mean. o_O I live in the N east! Oh, never mind. That is just like every winter here in the N east. ;lol Ya never know what's going to happen. Makes it interesting. _g

I think he was afraid to say, "We have no idea" LOL :)
Maybe : Some snow,some rain, some sun, some cold weather, some warm weather & a few storms. :p

Good job Ray. I like the idea of something on the front of the shed, and keep thinking I'll do that, but something else always comes up.
Dennis is right (for us anyway), actually starting Fri., we'll be getting a little chilly. Nothing more than 48 daytime next week.
Thanx Dave! The weather forecast looks crazy for Monday-Tuesday with tropical storm, noreaster and strong wind potential depending on storm track.. ugh

Ray

Nice work i have all my stacks covered as well.

Thanx Corey! I only cover what I will be burning this heating season..

Ray

I try to cover the top of all my stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.