Tarps, where do you get yours?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
A few years ago I found very good heavy duty poly tarps online. But, I have lost the information where I got them. They are double layer, brown on one side and silver on the other, 12' X 20' with eye's every 3'. A better size would be 8' X 20'. I need brown because of community rules.

Anyone know a good source for heavy duty tarps?

Thanks Tom

I buy mine at a local junk store called Mardens. They're of decent quality and about 1/10th the price of a similar size tarp at a Lowes or Home Depot.

Probably more $ than you want to spend but they are repairable at any awning shop which should get you 15 years out of them. At that point they get brittle and fall apart. If kept off a wood pile in the sunny months (which sounds like most do here) I wood guess them to last a lifetime.
Have bought many truck tarps from them over the years.
http://www.customcanvas.com/

My local Lowes has the brown tarps.

I found the one's I have. They have been the longest lasting tarps I ever had. I just ordered a case. 8 tarps of the 10" x 20'. I built pitched wood frames that lay on top of the wood pile. The frame supports the tarp off the wood.

https://www.mytarp.com/silver-brown-tarps.aspx

Reactions: onetracker
Check your local lumber yard. I use the reinforced plastic that Azek boards are shipped in. It has all the writing on the outside but the other side is black. They are approx 8x20, don't remember the actual size. The reinforcement in the plastic makes it much stronger than plain plastic. They don't have any eyes but that 's not a problem for me.

They FREE at my local yard so if one wears out ......

Check out your local demolition and roofing contractors. I found a TON of rubber roofing for next to nothing, and it will last for decades. Very good stuff......

Reactions: Realstone
Hamilton Marine in Maine has a variety of sizes and grades, they are generally competitive on prices

Best tarps I've seen by a lonnng shot are the ones I scavenged of one of those portable steel tube and tarp porta-garages. Light, strong, leakproof, real non-skid. I wish they sold them as tarps.

IMGP0009.jpg

Tractor supply.....good,cheap and lasts for years

There is a trash container company near me that has all sorts off good stuff on hand ! I give him all my scrap and in return I can take truck loads of trash to top off containers free as well as scavenge his yard for anything I might need. There have been a few good tarps found there. Maybe you have a small business like that around you.

Pete

I needed a good tarp for covering a couple campers I am working on. I put an ad on Craigslist and someone wrote me that had some used billboard signs for sale.
They are very heavy duty and 14'X48'. No grommets but you can get a grommet kit very cheap and put your own on it.
I didn't want the ad showing so I flipped it over the the backside which is black.

Status
Not open for further replies.