Task Force 5-ton electric splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stejus said:
Anyone that doubts these 5hp electric splitters can't split the big stuff, here's proof. I believe this is a white oak because I have some red oak that's a lot darker in color. It's takes a few cycles to get through the big stuff, but it sure beats whacking it with a maul.
is that after one crack at it or two? I wasn't sure if you split at the end of that crack and then once again in the spot shown in the picture.

stejus said:
Anyone that doubts these 5hp electric splitters can't split the big stuff, here's proof. I believe this is a white oak because I have some red oak that's a lot darker in color. It's takes a few cycles to get through the big stuff, but it sure beats whacking it with a maul.

Good pic! Would be nice to have a decent video online of the task force splitting real wood not that lame video at you tube splitting tiny pieces.. I don't have anything to make a video to upload..

Ray

Danno77 said:
stejus said:
is that after one crack at it or two? I wasn't sure if you split at the end of that crack and then once again in the spot shown in the picture.

I was working alone so I started the split process and it made the initial POP into this crack you see. I stopped the cycle to snap the pic. I went back and fired it up again and it went right through. One log I split, (not sure if it was this one) had some issues once I got towards the middle. It was very knarly (spelling?) and I had to take an axe to it to finish it. One log out of about 1.5 cords so far.

My farther-inlaw gave me his because he had a few that he wasn't using anymore. The Task Force fits on the stand perfectly. It's balanced and is a good working height for me (6'0" tall).

Attachments

• werner stand.jpg
    werner stand.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 375
stejus said:
My farther-inlaw gave me his because he had a few that he wasn't using anymore. The Task Force fits on the stand perfectly. It's balanced and is a good working height for me (6'0" tall).

Good to know thanks. I'm 6'1 and was wondering if it would be too short for me.

av8roc said:
Its not clear weather or not its available in store but I may just head down and check..

If you find out, let us know, please.

precaud said:
av8roc said:
Its not clear weather or not its available in store but I may just head down and check..

Leaving house in 5, will do.

precaud said:
av8roc said:

Yeah just picked one up in store for $22 along with the Task Force splitter and Huskvarna 445!

Had a 10% off coupon so I saved a bunch buying it all at once.

av8roc said:
precaud said:
av8roc said:

Yeah just picked one up in store for $22 along with the Task Force splitter and Huskvarna 445!

Wow merry christmas to you! You made out like a bandit on that... I did the 10% thing too when I bought the splitter but you beat me on the platform! I got another 10% coupon and saved a bundle on a new washer and dryer this week too! Let us know what you think about your new equipment when you have a chance..

Good Luck!
Ray

precaud said:
The local Lowes is sold out of 'em... no biggy.

Saw one on craigslist near me for $50.00 a few days ago and was gonna buy it to make a couple bucks but it was gone right away... Someone got a great deal!!!

Ray

Oh, I meant the werner platform. They had several splitters in stock, but I already have one...

precaud said:
Oh, I meant the werner platform. They had several splitters in stock, but I already have one...

lowes.com has it, but it will cost you $9 shipping. I believe it's a one day sale but I'm not 100% on that.

av8roc said:
precaud said:
av8roc said:

Dude! That's the exact combination of equipment I have. Nice setup! I still have my Husky 36 but it's a pleasure using the 445 for the bigger stuff :) Make sure you get a 12 gauge extension cord. I have a 50ft and a 25ft cord and it works fine.

Hey anyone looking for the work platform Lowes had it today for $22. What a deal I got two.

stejus said:
av8roc said:
precaud said:
av8roc said:

Dude! That's the exact combination of equipment I have. Nice setup! I still have my Husky 36 but it's a pleasure using the 445 for the bigger stuff :) Make sure you get a 12 gauge extension cord. I have a 50ft and a 25ft cord and it works fine.

Glad you are happy with them! The Task Force was a no brainer for me because it dropped down to $250 and plus I had the 10% coupon. The saw required quite a bit more research. I chose the 445 because I wanted something that would last and would be a good all around saw. I'm not felling any trees just plan on bucking and limbing downed trees in my in-laws wooded property.

av8roc said:
lowes.com has it, but it will cost you $9 shipping. I believe it's a one day sale but I'm not 100% on that.

The sign in the store said it is good thru the 30th.

Deere10 said:
Hey anyone looking for the work platform Lowes had it today for $22. What a deal I got two.

Glad you folks mentioned this! I bought this platform and a splitter on Oct. 30th and just came back from Lowes and got the difference back plus got 10% off that price(mover's coupon)!! Ended up paying $19.80 for it!!! So final price before tax for both the splitter and the platform comes to $250.90 before taxes!!! Plus a couple days ago I bought a new washer and dryer on sale and got 10% off that price too... Saved myself a bundle there too (about $58.00) ...

Ray

raybonz said:
Deere10 said:

Glad you folks mentioned this! I bought this platform and a splitter on Oct. 30th and just came back from Lowes and got the difference back plus got 10% off that price(mover's coupon)!! Ended up paying $19.80 for it!!! So final price before tax for both the splitter and the platform comes to $250.90 before taxes!!! Plus a couple days ago I bought a new washer and dryer on sale and got 10% off that price too... Saved myself a bundle there too (about $58.00) ...

Ray

Good to know Ray - I am going to Lowes tomorrow then and getting the lower price for my platform! Now I just need one of those 10% off coupons!

Shirl

shirlsaw said:
raybonz said:
Deere10 said:

Ray

Good to know Ray - I am going to Lowes tomorrow then and getting the lower price for my platform! Now I just need one of those 10% off coupons!

Shirl

Shirl go to http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...on.html&ln=cstln4&drd=drd7&ln=cstln4&drd=drd7 and fill out the form and you'll get the 10% off coupon via email within a week however you can only use it once and only on a future purchase.. That's what I did plus I also did the online post office thing too then cancelled it and got another 10% coupon.. My washer finally bit the dust and that 10% sure helped when I bought a new pair!

Ray

raybonz said:
shirlsaw said:
raybonz said:
Deere10 said:

Ray

Shirl

Shirl go to http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...on.html&ln=cstln4&drd=drd7&ln=cstln4&drd=drd7 and fill out the form and you'll get the 10% off coupon via email within a week however you can only use it once and only on a future purchase.. That's what I did plus I also did the online post office thing too then cancelled it and got another 10% coupon.. My washer finally bit the dust and that 10% sure helped when I bought a new pair!

Ray

Thanks Ray - I'll do that! (Then I'll still have you beat by a few cents! LOL) Perfect day in Michigan for splitting wood!

I picked one of these up the other day for $249. The only thing I dont like about it is you have to use both hands to operate it, one to hold the power button, the other to move the lever. I had some maple that pops when split and the rounds jumped about 3 inches off the rail. Anyone mod theirs so they dont have to keep both hands on the splitter?

I dont have mine raised. I just sit on a bucket and leave the splitter on the ground.

Ah, the splitter thread that just won't die... Lowe's has the Werner work platform on sale again, 29 bucks today thru the 31st. I finished my splitting for next season last weekend, so I won't be able to use it anytime soon, but I picked one up anyway. Last time they sold out quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.