Tax credit for 2009 - includes wood stoves - but ONLY above 75% efficiency.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael B said:
Here's another kicker with this act - the FDIC limit was raised to $250K versus $100K - which is a good thing. But according to Sec 136 of the Act, this ENDS on 12/31/09 and then reverts back to $100K.

It's smoke and mirrors

This thing is loaded - 169 pages

Good to know my 250,000 dollars in my savings will be protected.....LOL...*sigh*

So who's efficiency rating is this going by? The EPA default or independent Lab tests? My stove is 72% EPA and I have been told by Woodstock that in the lab it has tested as high as 77%. Watch for manufactures to boost their numbers in the near future.

Agreed. My stove is probably on par with the Fireview. I will be applying for the credit anyway, regardless of efficiency.

What about boilers? My TARM is supposed to be up in the 80% range.

Greg H

Not to stir the pot or anything, but from what I've read the EPA basically punted on the "efficiency" rating, and just assigns a fixed number based on the technology and design of the stove -- rather than doing the more difficult thing which would presumably be to measure pounds of wood in and BTUs of heat out. Maybe some of you industry insiders know the back story on this; I reckon it emerged from some delicate bit of negotiation during the early days of the EPA regulating wood burning emissions. But as far as the EPA "efficiency" number goes it is pretty well known among wood burners that the number only loosely reflects the actual performance of a stove.

Whomever wrote the efficiency requirement into the bill *may* have been well-intentioned, after all if that number was an actual measurement for each stove, then the bill would encourage people to make good use of our wood resources and avoid smoking up our air by buying well-designed stoves. But as it is, it smacks to me of the pellet stove trade group steering things in a direction that deftly slips a wedge between their stoves and the cordwood burners.

It will be interesting to see how this actually plays out as more details emerge.

My totally non-partisan parting comment is that we really DO need to get the money out of politics and out of our legislative process.

Eddy

Hate to sound like a braggart...but.....my i2400 is 77% according to regency...now how am i gonna make turbotax recognize that heh....

http://www.discountstove.com/specspage.html

If you click on any of the Vermont Castings Wood Stove links it shows what looks to be an official brochure page which includes stove efficiency. Some are up to or over 75%. However, if you go on the VC website they only show the default 63%. Anybody know if we can get official VC documentation matching what discount stoves shows?

Here is more info on the $300 tax credit, copied from the first link below. Check the link for a full list of tax credits.

Biomass Stove
Stove which burns biomass fuel to heat a home or heat water.
Thermal efficiency rating of at least 75%.
Biomass Fuel means any plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers.

Tax Credit = $300

Manufacturer’s Certification Statement required.
For tax purposes, save your receipt and the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement.
Use IRS Form 5695
Must be “placed into service” between Jan. 1–Dec. 31, 2009

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits
http://www.energy.gov/taxbreaks.htm

And the IRS info sheet.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-06-26.pdf

It's not just for wood burners. The tax credits are also for any 'EnergyStar' type products for your home...but for SOME reason anything done is 2008 won't count! :roll:

Federal Tax Credits for Energy EfficiencyOn October 3, 2008, President Bush signed into law the “Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.” This bill extended tax credits for energy efficient home improvements (windows, doors, roofs, insulation, HVAC, and non-solar water heaters). Tax credits for these residential products, which had expired at the end of 2007, will now be available for improvements made during 2009. However, improvements made during 2008 are not eligible for a tax credit.

The bill also extended tax credits for solar energy systems and fuel cells to 2016. New tax credits were established for small wind energy systems and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Tax credits for builders of new energy efficient homes and tax deductions for owners and designers of energy efficient commercial buildings were also extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.