Tax credit...is sales tax eligible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
I haven't seen this info anywhere. Is the sales tax paid on a new pellet stove eligible for the 30% tax credit?
Flynfrfun

Anybody? I'm sure somebody bought and installed a pellet stove in 2009 and used the tax credit?
Flynfrfun

It's the total invoice including parts, installation and tax.

AR

It absolutley does not include the sales tax. If you really want to know, and not get your info from rumors and second hand knowledge, do what I did for my customers and call the IRS. I also cant spell abosultley.

I don't think it covers installation either. When you go to do your taxes if you use a program such as turbotax it will spell it out in very certain terms what is or isn't eligable.

Thanks guys. I read the entire tax credit explanation and it didn't say anything about whether sales tax is eligible or not. I figured it wasn't since the gov't wants all the tax $ it can get one way or the other. But then I had one salesman tell me it was eligible which is what spurred my question.

However, I think it does include installation. Although I am doing my own installation, so that doesn't apply to me. I believe all the materials I am purchasing for the installation are eligible.
Flynfrfun

From the Energy Star Site

Installation costs ARE COVERED for:

HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) systems
Biomass Stoves
Water Heaters (including solar)
Solar Panels
Geothermal Heat Pumps
Wind Energy Systems
Fuel Cells
The tax credit for HVAC, biomass stoves, and non-solar water heaters is 30% of the total cost (product + installation) up to $1,500. The law specifies installation costs include: "expenditures for labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the property."

Good to know.

install not cover under tax credit .ask this question of my tax guy not covered . also if you claim the full 1500 in 2009 as i did no credit this year . took credit last year for new metal roof energy star. cant use this year on my purchase of big e . talked to tax guy also called irs

I used the credit last year to put my stove in. Only covered materials (did my own install), including the hearth, stove pipes, and stove. Sales tax is your own problem.

flynfrfun said:
Thanks guys. I read the entire tax credit explanation and it didn't say anything about whether sales tax is eligible or not. I figured it wasn't since the gov't wants all the tax $ it can get one way or the other. But then I had one salesman tell me it was eligible which is what spurred my question.

However, I think it does include installation. Although I am doing my own installation, so that doesn't apply to me. I believe all the materials I am purchasing for the installation are eligible.
Flynfrfun

installation and pipe, as well as floor protection IS covered, while pellets and slaes tax are NOT eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.