Tax Credit Survey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Did you take advantage of the tax credit to get a wood stove?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I switched my old one out for a fireview. Hearthstone was a good stove, but Fireview seems more suited to what I want.

didnt participate personally , but have noticed (hard not to) callers looking at various models who either ask, or remember when mentioned who are opting for cert models which qualify over exempt ones which do not. which is a good thing IMHO.

The rebate enabled the discussion to replace/upgrade my stove this year. Without it I don't think I would have been able to financially justify the change (not that it made sense anyway). However, looking back I probably should have done it anyway for non-EPA approved reasons.

I actually put my stove (first one ever) in last February and was told it probably wouldn't meet the requirements but that they had not yet published the list. I had new windows, garage doors, and a secondary entry door that all met the requirements put in during August thinking that would be all I could claim. I just happened upon the list of stoves that qualify (Buck Stoves) and mine was listed. Bonus!

Hope you all are getting ready...it could be 30 degrees tomorrow and I would be a happy camper.

I moved from one EPA stove to another more efficient EPA stove. My old EPA stove went to a guy who replaced a smoke dragon with it. Trickle-down air quality improvement FTW.

I didn't take advantage of the tax credit to get a new woodstove since I just bought one last year . . . yeah it kind of stinks to not get the tax credit for that purchase, but on the other hand I saved a lot of money (and oil) last year, stayed plenty warm and really enjoyed the wood burning experience.

I have however ordered some new windows and bought an energy efficient refrigerator and hope to apply the tax credit to these purchases.

Converted fireplace into a wood stove insert. Expecting a $1334 credit. If I sell my fireplace doors privately, I can reduce my total cost even more.

$+ 4,448 Total cost
$ - 1,334 30% Credit
$+ 3,113 Total cost after credit
$ - 0,000 Previous fireplace glass doors
$+ 3,113

Replaced VC Encore needing complete rebuild with BK King. After selling the 2 Encores and taking the tax credit, the demo King was pretty close to a wash with replacement parts for the VC.

Replaced VC Vigilant for Jotul F500 Oslo. After selling the Vigilant on craigslist, and with the tax credit, I managed to walk away with the stove for right around $860....oh and I sold an old LCD TV for $400 which I used for the stove so actually walked away for about $460.

Would have purchased the new stove regardless of a discount, just happened to work out for us this year.

Replaced smoke dragon with Fireview. Between the tax credit and the spring off season sale, my new stove was nearly 50% off regular price! I don't think I would have made the upgrade without the credit. I saw a post at arborist site about the Woodstock sale and tax credit back in March. Had I not seen that post, I would still have the old dragon, and likely would not have found Hearth.com either as it was recommended to me by the folks at Woodstock. The tax credit changed my life!

Put in 4 new windows and replaced a leaky slider and a Dutchwest that had melted through the half walls in the back and side. All done for comfort - the fed $$$$$$$$$$ give away came after we decided on the upgrades.

mellow said:
Upgraded to a new Flame secondary air insert, couldn't beat the price, got it for at cost. I just hope it will heat like the older Sierra catalytic insert did.

Dang it. Still waiting for you to tell me when I can haul that heavy piece of Sierra scrap across the bridge to get it out of your way. :cheese:

I also sold off the old smoke dragon and purchased a new Fireview. I bought in March before the official announcement of which stoves qualify. I got a great deal on the stove and then was able to sell off the old smoke dragon which more than recouped the cost for new inside stove pipe and a new hearth. The fact that I'll only have to load her half as much.....priceless.

I voted for upgrade but we'll see if the Fireview can heat the whole house. If not, the Morso will be going upstairs as a supplemental heater. In that case, I vote for a second stove.

mikepinto65 said:
Replaced VC Vigilant for Jotul F500 Oslo. After selling the Vigilant on craigslist, and with the tax credit, I managed to walk away with the stove for right around $860....oh and I sold an old LCD TV for $400 which I used for the stove so actually walked away for about $460.

You sound like me last year. I sold a bunch of surplus junk, including the old fireplace doors, to defray the cost of the stove, so I could rationalize the cost to my wife. She never stopped talking to her friends all winter about how much she loved the stove. Win-win.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
mikepinto65 said:

You sound like me last year. I sold a bunch of surplus junk, including the old fireplace doors, to defray the cost of the stove, so I could rationalize the cost to my wife. She never stopped talking to her friends all winter about how much she loved the stove. Win-win.

LOL I find myself dong that with to my wife all the time for the things I "need" to have!!! It works well just this year I got the new stove, new t.v., and new chainsaw! ;-P

RiverLogger said:
Would have purchased the new stove regardless of a discount, just happened to work out for us this year.

Same here - we've had plans to get an insert for a couple years - the timing of the tax credit was just icing on the cake!

Status
Not open for further replies.