Tax Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKraut

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
South Central PA
It's that time of year to give more of my money to my friends in the government. I was reading that I can claim up to $300 of the cost of the EKO Biomass 60 I bought last year according to this:
http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=US43F&re=1&ee=1
According to the IRS Form 5695 line 24b, the maximum I can claim is $150. Any of you folks tax wizards that would know how this works? The more of my money I can keep, the happier I am.

Thank you,

Bob

According to the document it's a tax credit and not a deduction and may go on another form. Credits are always better than deductions because you get the full value off the bottom line of your tax due. If you haven't taken the full $500.00 allowed in the past for energy improvements you should be eligable. I will try to find out more about this and get back to you.

It look like it's $300:

• Biomass stoves that use "plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers": $300

It look like it's $300:

• Biomass stoves that use "plant-derived fuel available on a renewable or recurring basis, including agricultural crops and trees, wood and wood waste and residues (including wood pellets), plants (including aquatic plants), grasses, residues, and fibers": $300
I agree with you that it should be $300. The IRS form says it's a maximum of $150....that's the problem. I love our tax system.

According to the document it's a tax credit and not a deduction and may go on another form. Credits are always better than deductions because you get the full value off the bottom line of your tax due. If you haven't taken the full $500.00 allowed in the past for energy improvements you should be eligable. I will try to find out more about this and get back to you.
Thank you for taking the time to look into it.

Bob

McKraut

Go to "irs.gov" and click on forms an publications (orange box on the left) then click on search, type in "form 5695" > go to page 2 and read instructions attached to the end of the form.The instructions include biomass burning units. It looks like you will be eligable for $300.00. It must be entered on line 24A.

You must have a a certificate from the importer. I think I downloaded my certificate from New Horizon's website when I did mine.

One thing tax preparers whine about is that people want a tax credit when they don't pay taxes so be sure you pay taxes before you apply for a credit.

Fred61,

Thank you for looking into this for me. I really do appreciate the effort. I will take you advice and enjoy getting a little more money back. Yes, I do pay taxes so I will be able to apply for the credit.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.