Tax Refund - I get to get a splitter........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
Now I have to decide whether to get the 22 ton from from tractor supply or a splitter to run off my tractor hydraulics. Decisions....decisions.

I like having my tractor and splitter independent of one another, so I can put the splitter where I'm gonna work, and then move wood to and from the splitter with the FEL. Other folks do it differently. Whatever. In any case, just like knowledge..."hydraulics is good". :p Rick

fossil said:
I like having my tractor and splitter independent of one another, so I can put the splitter where I'm gonna work, and then move wood to and from the splitter with the FEL. Other folks do it differently. Whatever. In any case, just like knowledge..."hydraulics is good". :p Rick

Most likely I'll go with an independent splitter. I don't really need to split wood where I take my tractor. I kinda liked the idea of one less gas and oil operated machine.

Most folks I've spoke with do not like the splitter on the tractor, especially after using one like you are considering. That thing is great. As for the extra machine, it takes very little gas and oil, especially compared with the tractor. Also, they last a long, long time.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most folks I've spoke with do not like the splitter on the tractor, especially after using one like you are considering. That thing is great. As for the extra machine, it takes very little gas and oil, especially compared with the tractor. Also, they last a long, long time.

+1 100 cords with mine so far no issue's at all! and it would suck putting that on and off all the time.

Tractors cost alot to run just to split wood, plus it sucks when the hydraulics on the trac kick out. Spend more time walking around tire than splitting.

I was thinking the same way. 2 weeks ago I picked up a Huskee 22 Ton, I like having the tractor bucket right at the splitter so I can load wood into the bucket and then drive it to the wood shed. One less time I have to handle the wood.

Good luck.

timberr said:
I was thinking the same way. 2 weeks ago I picked up a Huskee 22 Ton, I like having the tractor bucket right at the splitter so I can load wood into the bucket and then drive it to the wood shed. One less time I have to handle the wood.

Good luck.

How are you liking the Huskee 22 Ton so far?

I own a tractor and am not interested in a tractor mounted splitter. To get decent hydraulic flow from a tractor's onboard hydraulics you need to have the engine cranked up to PTO speed. The modern gas engines for these splitters are so good. If you want to use your tractor to split wood then you should go for PTO power.

trailrated,

I like the Huskee, split 4 cds. in about 8 hrs. I was split between the Huskee and Swisher. When I went to TSC to ask some questions about the Huskee (Where is it made) the salesmen said it was a great splitter for $999. The sticker said 1,099 so I questioned him and he told me if I bought it today I could have the $999 price. That was $500 cheaper then the Swisher.

I had a couple of gnarly butt pieces and it bogged down a little but busted them wide open. I recommend it.

I have used both types of splitters. Here is my opinions.

Tractor - Diesel Tractor is hard starting in cold weather, hydraulics kick out as mentioned before, PITA to use during farming season, same splitting power from a 100HP tractor that you can get with a 5 or 9 HP individual splitter,

Independent - One more motor to worry about, easier to start, easy to store inside garage or shop with minimal space used, easier to move to location to split

Personally i prefer the individual splitter.

I say to go with the American Made Iron and Oak 22 Ton with fast 8 sec return Horizontal and Vertical...NICE...but Pricey! But it is a Commercial machine
for the homeowner. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.