Tax Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Last Year I bought a stove that qualified for $1,447 energy tax credit. My tax liability was only $903 so $903 is what I got back. I was told that the remainder of the credit that was not refunded last year would carry over and be refunded to me this year. However I cannot seem to find out if this is true. Anyone have any answers?

Not sure... a lot of folks though they would get a check for that credit but that's not how it worked... some are pissed to be sure!

I installed new windows and insulation last year but I haven't done my taxes yet... not sure if I will get any $$$ back.

not a tax expert here but i was doing my taxes couple days ago using Turbo Tax and it did show i had $$ carried over from last year.

Yeah, you can go to IRS.gov and do a search for it. The credit applies to 2009 & 2010 and the max is $1500. That means you can get a max back this year of $597, provided you had a tax liability of at least that much. I'm not a CPA or anything so you may want to double check me on this, but that's how I understood it from the IRS website.

Status
Not open for further replies.