Tearing down a WMC42 (WM42) Majestic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

73blazer

Hearth Supporter
So I tore this thing out and replaced it with a North Star, this thing was sitting on my deck all winter under 3' of snow, so today I went to take it apart just to get the non-metal pieces off it before I sell it to the scrap metal place (they are still paying $140/ton for scrap!)

So, just in case anybody wants to see how this thing is put together. The back is warped big time, and the sides a little, but the welds are all in tact thankfully. It wasn't me, I was told the previous owner burned scrap wood from his jobs (he was a construction guy) in it. I was too paranoid to ever have it blazing, and with it being open all it took was a couple pieces of seasoned wood to have that thing blazing and there was nothing you could do about it.
I wasn't so impressed with the construction, the steel is only 3/16". After removing 8 sheet metal screws, the outer sheet metal and facade came right off, there was only 1 layer of foil backed 1/2" think insulation in there. I was surprised how quickly it came apart.

I might just make a nice facade or surround for it and keep it as on outdoor fireplace now though! Probably not, but could be done.

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

I saved the fan unit, perfect working order if anybody wants it, it's theirs for shipping cost. It fits many Majestic and Vermont Castings fireplaces and I believe the VC stoves take the same unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.