Tech question about the dreaded Whitfield Photo Cell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my former stove (gave to my mom when we lost our home a couple years ago) is an Optima 3 Free Standing stove.

As of late the Photo cell is starting to act up. It might go for hours and be fine before it shuts down, then it might go out as soon as the the start cycle ends.

I just completed a full tear down & cleaning of the stove. I have verified that the high limit snap switch and vacuum switches are working fine and not causing any added issues.

I would like to change this stove back to an old school proof of fire snap switch. The port is in place on the exhaust housing. Just have to remove the block off plate and install the switch.

My question for folks that have done this. Do you hook the POF switch to the same leads as the Photo cell, or to one of the jumpers in the middle of the board?

I know that a normal stove will simply look for the voltage (circuit closed) returned back by the POF switch. I don't know what this stove is anticipating from the photo cell. Does the photo cell simply pass the voltage like a snap switch, or is it looking for resistance value?

I see that the lens it starting to get etched a bit, and this may be the real culprit. However the cost of that lens ($60 to $80 depending on where you find it) keeps me from going that route when I can but a snap switch for less and still have money for pellets afterwards.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have a digital multimeter you can check what is on the photo cell using one of the voltage scales.

Likely it is acting as a switch which means that a snap disc in the correct spot can replace it.

I thought that Scott Williamson had a one point replaced one in that manner but the only post I found was one with him asking that question about a Whitfield stove.

SmokeyTheBear said:
I thought that Scott Williamson had a one point replaced one in that manner but the only post I found was one with him asking that question about a Whitfield stove.

I had the same result. I thought I had seen someone (maybe Smokey Rivers) saying it could be done and was advised over the problematic photo cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.