Technical differences Quadra 1200 stand alone and insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetick

Jan 27, 2009
NYC suburb
I've had a Quadra-Fire 1200i (Insert) for about three years now. I've only had the controller box replaced under warranty. I'm cleaning all myself now since the dealer was charging $420. I just watched him last time a few years back and took good notes. Anyway no problems this year, but I'm sure something will come up in the future. So I have the Insert and was wondering if all the snap disc / convectional blower discussions on the 1200 stand alone apply to 1200 Insert? Any technical details that are significantly different or are they really two completely different designs?

I have 2 other friends with 1200's. One is a freestandinv like mine and the other an insert. I have never really looked at the guts of his stove (insert/cant see) but the only difference may be the placement of snap discs and the ash clean-out port in the back. Also if I remember correctly, the insert does not have an adjustable fan switch, onlu a heat setting switch. (Been 2 yrs since I seen it/work togerher, but different shifts)

Have you looked online at the Freestanding manual and checked the part # for the Control box? I can post it in awhile..

I have 2 CB 1200s and I have read the manual but I still haven't found the ash cleanout trap door in the back of the stove. Where is it?

Freestanding models are on the bottom right side of stove. Open the right side doors and there is a square cover (4 or 5 inches square w/ 4 screws holding it on) on the very bottom of the heat exchange passage. The snap discs are just above the little cover.

This are should be cleaned a few times a year. I do it monthly or about every ton.

The insert model is a little different (from what I have read) .

Thanks. I know about that one. I thought there was suppose to be one on the back of the combustion blower, but I couldn't find it.

gobuck said:
Thanks. I know about that one. I thought there was suppose to be one on the back of the combustion blower, but I couldn't find it.

When you remove the combustion blower, you should see straight through that cavity to the clean out plate. I remove the combustion blower 2 times a year. Once in the middle of season for a good cleaning and then Spring/End of season cleaning.

No other ports on my stove

Status
Not open for further replies.