Technical low-pitch/flat roof chimney install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I bought all my parts for an essentially flat-roof chimney installation today for my Heartland cookstove - all Selkirk products - ceiling support box, roof flashing, etc, etc.

First, insulation shield question: My ceiling is (from bottom up) plywood, 1/2" EPS (foam board), plywood, R-19 fiberglass, plywood, framing, OSB, rubber roof. OK, don't ask, I didn't build it, I just have to deal with it. It will be coming out in a few years when I save up enough cash to put a 10/12 pitch gable roof over it. Anyhow, as it stands, all insulation is blocked off from the chimney by framing, with >2" clearance on all sides. The opening was originally made for a 8" chimney. In other words, the EPS and fiberglass is "encapsulated" away from the chimney; the equivalent of putting the chimney through a piece of 6" thick plywood. NOW, the question is this: is an insulation shield required in this installation? I do not have enough room to put a Metalbestos brand insualtion shield in there (too tall and too wide at the base), so I would have to fabricate my own out of sheet metal. Also, the only thing that can get to the chimney are insects (wasps, ladybugs, etc.). I had a thought of buying a second storm collar to place against the top side of the celing support.

Second: My roof is roughtly 3/12 pitch. In the metalbestos specifications, I noted that for flat roof installations, a piece of sheet metal is required to be wrapped around the edges of the roof opening. What is the purpose of this, and does my 3/12 roof fall into this category? These are the only issues that are not "straight forward".

Any advice from anyone?

I can't remember where I saw the thing about wrapping the edges of the flat roof with sheetmetal. I have been looking closely at the install sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.