Technical question about the Regency F2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question. I think everybody with a steel stove ought to drag out the calipers and post the top plate and stove body thickness for the various manufacturers' stoves since they don't publish them.

HeatMaster said:
I called Englander today, the 50-SNC-30 is 1/4 plate steel all around

No it isn't. The stove body is 3/16" seven gauge and the top plate is 1/4". There is one sitting in my fireplace. And the digital micrometer is sitting on my workbench.

A lot of the stoves on the market have 3/16" bodies.

Jeez, just can't trust a salesman these days :).

BeGreen said:
Jeez, just can't trust a salesman these days :).

That is why specs are weird also. That T6 of yours is a 3.0 cf firebox and the 30 is 3.5. Both manuals say to not load it over the top of the firebrick and the bricks in both are the same height. Measured out the "loadable" space in both is 3.0. The extra .5 in the 30 is combustion space between the load and the baffle. Which I like having up there, by the way.

HeatMaster said:
unbelievable, The guy told me it was all 1/4"- all around. BTW, how do you like your Englander stove?

Love it. It is a perfect fit for my application. It replaced a 1/4" body 3/8" top plate 4.3 cf firebox beast but throws more heat and the burn lasts longer.

And I have the personal guarantee from Mike at ESW that "It ain't gonna split down the middle BB.". I do have a blower that has a bearing that is going south. Bad from day one but I kept telling myself it was vibration in the housing.

Dreading dragging the thing out of the fireplace to replace it so it stays till it dies.

Yes, there's about 3" above the bricks on the T6 also. Extra headroom is a good thing for sure.

BeGreen said:
Yes, there's about 3" above the bricks on the T6 also. Extra headroom is a good thing for sure.

Mic that bad boy. Let's see what she's made of under that fancy wrapper.

I spoke to my local Regency dealer. She told me that the F2400 is 5/16 plate steel all around. I would hope this is true, given the price tag of Regency stoves!

You wanna build a fire in it and heat your home, or are you lookin' for something to crawl into in the event of a terrorist attack? :wow: Rick

HeatMaster said:
I spoke to my local Regency dealer. She told me that the F2400 is 5/16 plate steel all around. I would hope this is true, given the price tag of Regency stoves!

Easy to check. Digital micrometers are cheap.

One of the things to look at in a steel stove, besides thickness, is how it is built. In a lot of the stoves the secondary air manifolds are welded or bolted to the sides running from the front of the stove to the back. This adds structural rigidity to the sides of the stoves to prevent warping. The same is true with the top plates. A stove with a step-top built into it can be just as stout with thinner plate as one with thicker plate. The bend in it adds rigidity. Some manufacturers use 5/16" top plates on flat top stoves and 1/4" on the step tops in the same stove line. No matter the thickness, it all starts getting soft at the same temp.

And all steel manufacturers roll the stuff pretty close to the bottom of the 10% tolerance for the thickness anyway.

HeatMaster said:
quality my friend, quality!

THAT shows up in the welds.

HeatMaster said:
quality my friend, quality!

Quality is in the design and execution and adherence to specifications, not in the mass. If you want mass, get a Vogelzang. Rick

quality starts with the right material, and the right amount of it. Just so you guys know I am not hanging all my weight on the plate steel, But it is a place to start.

Mine measures in at 5".....the quality shows in the heavy door hinges,welds,and rugged burn tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.