Technically, it's still a hearth...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Would I get the boot if I switched and went to coal?

I am checking out this stove tomorrow, and as long as nothing major is broken or missing, probably going to go for it.

The price is VERY right.

So you are thinking of going over to the Dark Side eh, young Skywalker?

yep, just something about those long burn times and not beating up the car that
may help the decision to switch.

Is this paintable/repairable?

It looks a little rough.

Just got back- It was very rough condition.

I'll keep looking.

One thing I always hated about coal is that all the snow turns black near where the coal is burned, but I haven't burned coal for about 50 years now either. Perhaps the newer stoves are better.

I'am new to wood burning and this will be my first year heating with wood, I was raised around people that heated with coal and when I was a little boy my parents heated with coal, I love the heat it gives off , but it is very messing, most people around here that have a coal stove usually paint the room that the stove in about every spring, I work in the coal industry and know alot about coal, certain kinds of coal has has differnt btu ratings. Here in eastern kentucky there are some coal seams that we mine that are solded to the steel industry to make steel and this kind of coal is way to hot to burn in a stove , some people I know around here will buy this high btu coal and it just about melt the grates out of your stove,and the problem with purchasing coal from a buyer unless he knows about the btu ratings of the coal he is selling, you will never know by just looking at it, Working in the coal industry I can tell you that the price of coal is going to keep rising, there is a big demand for it and people in the coal markets say that the prices will just keep going up, I would really think about it before i switched. most people that i know around here that have a coal stove the stoves themselves don't hold up over the years of use, cracked fire bricks, grates melted down, doors wraped, the best coal stove I ever seen was a combustneer, my grandmother had one and man did it ever put out some heat. good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.