1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Technology to improve efficiency of boats, aircraft, cars, even wind turbines!

Post in 'The Green Room' started by woodchip, Jul 19, 2012.

1. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Reading through the product information here, this company seems to be marketing a substance which coats surfaces to reduce friction, a bit like PTFE, or Teflon, but more effectively. It is under test in various applications at present, but does show real promise in reducing fuel costs, as well as cleaning costs:

http://www.airglideltd.com/products/

I've seen numerous substances come and go in the past, but I think that this one looks like the answer to improving fuel consumption that will actually deliver the claimed results. So far, it looks promising.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I have a plastic dinghy that I drag across the beach - just got some wheels, but I couldn't help think that a little sled of sorts...just a pad of a certain shape, coated with something that slid very easy across sand, would be better. This would give a larger bearing surface (won't sink in), and may even reduce friction. I'm not sure of the best material, though - probably a teflon might be a good place to start, but it would probably scratch too much.

Maybe just a highly polished carbon fiber or resin...?
  3. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Seen a show were they used somthing like that on a cargo ship. Barnicles cant stick it so drag is reduced and the ships don't need cleaned as much. also helps to keep invasive critters at home.
  4. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    The one on the cargo ship I think was modeled after sharks skin, I see no mention of that in the brief run down I did of that website.
  5. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    sounds like you need a new non-caloric silicone based kitchen lubricant that my company has been developing...its 500 times more slippery than and cooking oil.....Chevy Chase used it on his sled in Christmas Vacation with excellent results.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I heard that using one drop of that stuff in cooking gives you the runs for a week. (Remember Olestra?)