teflon or silicone spray on glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA
I was just thinking... I wonder if you could apply a teflon spray or silicone spray to the glass vision panels of the pellet stoves? Theoretically it would help keep the glass cleaner. Teflon goes on cookware, so I would think that it has a high enough heat tolerance. And pure silicone, like we use to seal everything on a stove, obviously can tolerate it. Maybe you could coat the whole inside of the stove, along with the vent pipe too.

Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it would void warranties.

I'd be concerned with the teflon. It goes on cookware, but if exposed to high heat (like nothing in the skillet over high flame) it can release very noxious fumes. I'm sure if check here http://www.checnet.org/HEALTHEHOUSE/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=600 you will see. I did a job once in a teflon producing facility and the warnings were scary. We were even cautioned about getting it on our hands and then smoking. One guy got sick and said it lasted 2 weeks.

The temperature of the fire exceeds the melting point of teflon, around 400F degrees. So no not a good idea.

Please don't try it when the stove is hot or warm. I dont think it is a good idea or that it will work. Toxic

guess thats why stoves aren't manufactured with it already on

I use a white paste that cleans the glass quite nicely. You can get it in the stove section of Home Depot. My stove guy told me about it. Not only does it clean the glass easily, it also conditions it.

Moe

I use a ceramic cooktop cleaner on the glass.
Works better than windex type cleaners and I don't have to
worry about it etching the glass over time.

Yeah,

I have this "Stove Glass Cleaner" stuff I got at a hearth shop. It says that it contains silicone and continued use will make the glass easier to clean. Only problem is, there is no difference in the "cleanability" of the glass whether I use the stuff or not. Windex + paper towels is all you need.

richg said:
Yeah,

I have this "Stove Glass Cleaner" stuff I got at a hearth shop. It says that it contains silicone and continued use will make the glass easier to clean. Only problem is, there is no difference in the "cleanability" of the glass whether I use the stuff or not. Windex + paper towels is all you need.

most polymers (ie teflon, silicone, etc) will burn right off when exposed to a a nice flame

so you spread on your silicone filled goo on, and the fire takes it all off by the next cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.