TEG Powered Wireless Temp. Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
This has been a dream of mine for a while.

Someone please invent a TEG powered transmitter that would send the signal to a wireless temperature monitor, maybe it will have 2 or 3 inputs on the transmitter for stove top, stove pipe or catalytic thermocouples.

You know, so you don't have cables all draped over your stove up a wall or down the sides.

As for the TEG I am thinking this one on ebay should work.

Gigantic_62mm_-_350_Watt.jpg

Model HT1-198-62

• 62mm x 62mm x 4.0mm
  • Maximum Hot Side Temperature (Tmax) 200 Deg C
  • Lead Wire Length 330mm (13-inch) With Stress Relief Sleeves
  • Minimum Figure of Merit (Z) 0.0027
  • Parallel Lapped Tolerance +/- 0.05mm
  • Electrical Resistance 0.6 Ohm
  • Imax (Peltier Effect) 25.0 Amps
  • Vmax (Peltier Effect) 24.7 VDC
  • Qmax (Peltier Effect) 400 W
  • DTmax (Peltier Effect) 69 Deg C
  • Each device is fully inspected and tested prior to shipment
  • Perimeter sealed with EPOXY for moisture protection

It would be nice to have a receiver with an LCD screen with high/low alarms and the ability to cycle through the 3 inputs and have the ability to hook it up to the computer via USB to keep track of results.

Or better yet connect via Bluetooth.

All for the low price of $99.95.....:)

Something like this for the transmitter that could be tucked around back of the stove would be nice. K type thermocouple. 3 inputs would be nice. Hook up the TEG to the battery to keep it charged?

I have something similar, mine is made by Omega. I don't see a need for a TEG as the lithium battery lasts for years. It has only 1 input ( also has an internal sensor for ambient temp), I use it to monitor stove top temp.
DSCF1004 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• Omega 2.02.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
What do you guys think about this. I'm close to ordering it .
A few times I have forgot to cut the air back after a reload and she can get hot!

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=292
This meter will even tell you the highest temp and when it happened.

It works great, see this thread for more details: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/digital-cat-probe.105221/

It does not have a memory on it to tell you when something happened, but the built in alarm is more than loud enough when you trigger it.

I have emailed them to see if they have a wireless version of this in the works, if they do that would work, if not I might just buy this and deal with the cat5 cable running beside the blower power line. I could also use one of the 5volt POE adapters I have for my IP cameras sitting around.

http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=114

device_en.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Omega OM-CP-RFTC 400A transmitter and OM-CP-RFC 101A reciever..
The first wireless model looks like it only good to 125::C.
The LAN model looks like it would work fine.

I just picked up a Arduino clone to play with.

The Auberins wireless unit works well I added one to my rig a couple of weeks ago. I can monitor what the stove is doing from my (home) office.

Building something using a Raspberry pi or Arduino is certainly possible, and would probably be a fun project if you were so inclined, but it wouldn't be cheaper.

That company didn't have a wireless version so I gave up searching and have stuck with my wired Auber since then, it gets the job done. Still looking for a good wifi inet connected controller for the K type thermocouple.

Since then Auber has released a wireless unit if that is what you are looking for: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=441

I've been lurking for a couple weeks and appreciate your responses.

So the PC sensor has the ability to allow you to monitor over a network ONLY? and not use a wireless slave like the auberins? And obviously the auberins is the opposite, no network work ability. Am I understanding this correctly?

What would be ideal for me is to have a wireless LCD display monitor upstairs, one in kitchen/living room and another in bedroom. And would also like to have network monitoring so I can see what's going on while I'm away from home. Best of both worlds. Would like piezo hi/low alarm in house upstairs and hi/low alarm through network. Best of both worlds.

I have no idea what a raspberry is. Not handy with It stuff but have a brother in law who does.

I have a regency medium free standing with double wall flue and currently have a probe/dial style monitor 18" above stove.

What do ya say?

Have you looked into a few cheap pyrometers that could be remotely mounted aimed at the surfaces you wish to measure? Then you would have zero cables around the stove.
You have a consistent emissivity so they can be quite accurate from a distance.

The auber unit will not hook into a network, it is the most simple to use device if you are not IT minded. You would place the master upstairs and the slave on the woodstove, it would give you an audible alarm if the hi temp is reached.

I still have yet to find anything affordable that I can hook into the network and read remotely, Omega has some stuff but it is really high priced.

The auber unit will not hook into a network, it is the most simple to use device if you are not IT minded. You would place the master upstairs and the slave on the woodstove, it would give you an audible alarm if the hi temp is reached.

I still have yet to find anything affordable that I can hook into the network and read remotely, Omega has some stuff but it is really high priced.

Talked to an Auber person today. Pretty sure I'm going to go with an Auber product here. I told them I was interested in the AT210-COMBO with maybe an extra master, 4" probe sensor and a piezo alarm. Price for that with extra master is $203.27 and price without extra master is $143.27. So right on wireless! To bad I couldn't get wireless with network capability. The rep then says why don't you use the heater meter as a thermometer? That way we can monitor the temp at home on anyone of our wireless devices and even do it while we are out in town over the network. App for my android and another for my wife's apple. Winner winner. Guess the heater meter is only good for 900°F which is fine with me. I've seen the top of my regency blush at 800. A nice burn in my air tight is 450-500°F. 600°F and your going smell metal. So with all the parts I need to set up a heater meter including the double wall sensor it comes to $259.47.

Any thoughts? Looking to order in next week. I like the heater meter used as thermometer because it's at home and on the road monitoring. Also has hi/low alarms and settings as well as AC power

Talked to an Auber person today. Pretty sure I'm going to go with an Auber product here. I told them I was interested in the AT210-COMBO with maybe an extra master, 4" probe sensor and a piezo alarm. Price for that with extra master is $203.27 and price without extra master is $143.27. So right on wireless! To bad I couldn't get wireless with network capability. The rep then says why don't you use the heater meter as a thermometer? That way we can monitor the temp at home on anyone of our wireless devices and even do it while we are out in town over the network. App for my android and another for my wife's apple. Winner winner. Guess the heater meter is only good for 900°F which is fine with me. I've seen the top of my regency blush at 800. A nice burn in my air tight is 450-500°F. 600°F and your going smell metal. So with all the parts I need to set up a heater meter including the double wall sensor it comes to $259.47.

Any thoughts? Looking to order in next week. I like the heater meter used as thermometer because it's at home and on the road monitoring. Also has hi/low alarms and settings as well as AC power
This might be old news, I wo
What heater meter are you referring to?

The auber part number is literally Heater Meter it is under charcoal BBQ. 900°F max, not buying the the advertised kit, they put together a kit of what I need only.

First time I have seen that, I don't go under the BBQ section much. Pretty cool. 900 max should be fine, if you are monitoring exhaust or top it shouldn't be that hot anyway.
Air tight purrs around 450-500°F alarm set for 600°F maybe? 800°F and my air tight is turning blush on top

Status
Not open for further replies.