Telescoping Connector Pipe Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSAW

Sep 6, 2010
Fl
Working on my hearth awaiting the arrival of my new T4. Researching chimney stuff right now and don't understand something.

I will probably use the Dura-Vent stuff, DVL.

On the telescoping stove pipe. It looks to me in the pictures that the outside which slides is single wall. If so it's not double wall all the way. Does it not matter that only half of it is double wall. Is there any adapter needed to attach the telescoping DVL to the stove, how bout the support box?

With the non telescoping DVL pipe there still needs to be something that telescopes a little to install it. Is that piece made like the stuff above, doesn't matter that it is partially single wall? I know that upper and lower adapters are needed this way.

I'm sure this would be easy if I could see these things in person.

Which is the better way to go?

Thanks

CSAW said:
Working on my hearth awaiting the arrival of my new T4. Researching chimney stuff right now and don't understand something.

I will probably use the Dura-Vent stuff, DVL.

On the telescoping stove pipe. It looks to me in the pictures that the outside which slides is single wall. If so it's not double wall all the way. Does it not matter that only half of it is double wall. Is there any adapter needed to attach the telescoping DVL to the stove, how bout the support box?

With the non telescoping DVL pipe there still needs to be something that telescopes a little to install it. Is that piece made like the stuff above, doesn't matter that it is partially single wall? I know that upper and lower adapters are needed this way.

I'm sure this would be easy if I could see these things in person.

Which is the better way to go?

Thanks

Double-wall is double-wall, & varies from vendor to vendor, but
your telescoping sections will NOT be 1/2 double-wall & 1/2 single-wall.
If it was, why waste the extra money for the double-wall 1/2?
The stove adapter requirement depends on how well the double-wall fits the flue collar on your stove.
If it's sloppy, get an adapter or a stove starter piece.
As far as the connection at the ceiling support box,
there is a small section of pipe coming from your support box called a flue extension,
& it allows you to slide the next section of connector over it.
If it's NOT there & you hafta crimp the top of the connector to fit IN the support box,
you stand a chance of having stuff run down the outside of your pipes...
Unfortunately, some Class A will not allow the flue extension to be installed
after the Class A is installed...
You may hafta remove the chimney sections to get an extension in the system...

Daksy is correct. It is double-wall all the way, even though it's a telescopic pipe.

You will need the support box adapter. Here's Simpson's instructions for the support box:
"In order to join this type of connector to the Support Box or Finishing Collar, a DVL/DuraBlack Chimney Adapter is required. The DVL/DuraBlack Chimney Adapter slips into the opening in the Support Box or Finishing Collar."

Assuming the T4 flue collar is like the T6, there shouldn't be any need for an adapter at the stove end. The inner liner and outer sleeve of the DVL pipe fit the flue collar like a glove.

Attachments

• dvl adapter.jpg
    dvl adapter.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 297
In MY application, they put in a Telescoping pipe (makes for easier hookup to a variety of stove sizes). I have to assume they put an adapter for the "Ceiling Support Box (which I have affectionately called a "Ceiling Baffle," perhaps incorrectly), based on the response I read here, but I didn't see them do it.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.