telescoping duravent dvl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lethal dose

Jan 10, 2011
eastern ohio
i'm looking at this thing and can't understand how smoke isn't going to leak around the sleeve and through the space between the inner and outer walls. anybody have experience with this stuff?

Because there is negative pressure in the pipe - things get sucked in, not blown out.
To calm your fears - install it and simply light a match and hold it up to the seam - flame goes in.

i'm not sure what seam your're talking about. so if i'm looking up the pipe (in line with the flow), and i see a 1/4 inch gap between the top piece's inner wall that slides inside the bottom piece and the bottom piece's inner wall... that's ok? i understand negative pressure, but i'm not sure i understand how it's applied, here. i would think if smoke was going up the pipe (where the gap is) then it would go through and up the gap, too.

are you running the telescoping piece that i'm talking about. hard to see in your pic.

nevermind. i see it in the description. do you remember if you could see a gap inside the pipe when you installed it?

no... i mean up inside the telescoping piece. the top piece's outer wall slides over the bottom piece but also inside. if you take the two pieces, put them together (one slides inside the other), and look up inside, there is a gap between the top piece's inner wall and the bottom piece's inner wall. there is a gap right where the gases would be flowing up the chimney. i assume some would go up the chimney but some will certainly go through the gap.

gap on the upper left.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 220
I have the double wall telescoping piece. I have never had any smoke issues. The pipe is directional I do believe and on my setup the inside piece is closer to the stove than the outside piece. Meaning the smoke and gasses travel from the inside piece to the outside piece. I am wondering if you are looking at this in the wrong direction.

Shawn

I don't think it's the wrong direction. The part closest to the camera has the flue adapter collar on it. Is the wider piece on top or bottom on your flue?

the narower piece is closest to the stove.

i see on madison's the wider part is on top. that is exactly how mine is. the smaller part is what you're seeing first then the wider part slides over the smaller part outside AND inside. it doesn't go just on the outside, but the inside, too. the smaller part goes between the walls of the wider part.

I own that pipe section and it works great. The top appears to act as a bell going both inside and outside of the lower double wall piece. Also, like a bell, the smoke would have to be pressurized inside the pipe to push up over the lower piece and then come back down to the bottom of the outer sleeve of the top piece to escape into the room. It could happen in a perfect storm of plugged chimney but in that case smoke will be pushing out all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.