Telescoping pipe - Stuck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fattire

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
I just bought some telescopoing DW smokepipe. Just trying to test if the new pieces on the floor, I can't pull the telescoping section out. It appears to me that it could be just a tad out of round. I was thinking about attaching the end to the existing chimney pipe and assuming I will then be able to pull it out, but by that step it will have gotten pretty dirty & I may not be able to return it.

Is this a common situation?

my pipe was stuck also. I just hooked it to the overhead pipe and pulled down. Once it was started it worked fine.

It can be tough because you have to squeeze it to pull on it. Conflicting forces.
It'll be easier if you can attach one end to something.

This happens to me every year when I remove the stovepipe for cleaning. When my neighbor isn't around to pull on the other end, I put a 2x6 (or 2x8 whittled down) into the top end and drive some long finishing nails into the wood through the screw holes on the stove pipe. Then, after I put the 2X6 in my vise, I can free the two pieces by pulling and twisting on the bottom end of the stovepipe. Having a way to secure the top end of the top piece makes all the difference.

i just took mine out of the box this week and boy was it stuck. my buddy and i couldn't get the darn thing to break loose. after about 15 minutes of struggling with it, i started to use my noggin'...
i pinched 2 vise grips (180 degrees apart from each other) onto the inside wall of one end. then i went to the workbench and tightened the 2 vise grip handles in the vise. the pipe is now pointing straight up toward the ceiling. i climbed onto the workbench and gave the pipe a tight bear hug. i then made 2-3 quick jerking motions up on the pipe, and it popped. i was home free from that point on.....

i should also mention that the double wall stove pipe chimney adapter (piece that threads into chimney coming down from the roof) did not lock properly into the chimney. i had to take a flathead screw driver and pry out the tabs on the adapter a bit further. once i did that, it locked right into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.