Telescoping stovepipe install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
I've got the telescoping stovepipe installed. At the top and bottom of the stovepipe there are slots for screws and matching holes pre-drilled to run the screws into so everything is secure. I've done that. But I noticed there are slots in the middle too but no matching holes to receive the screws. Makes sense as it is telescoping and you can't pre-drill a hole if you don't know where they will end up being needed.

So, do you drill holes for screws in the middle once you know where they should be?

Once everything is in place, screw the slip to the pipe. If its double wall pipe, there is no need to predrill. The screws provided will punch right through. If its single wall you will need to predrill or use self drilling screws.

Reactions: 7acres
Okay, good. Makes sense.

My problem now is I never came across any short black self tapping screws. What would you recommend I do? Just call up Dura Vent and request they mail me a few or buy some from a home improvement store and paint them black with the high temp stove black? I guess either would be fine, right?

Regular sheet metal screws work fine, just predrill if you can't find self drilling.

Reactions: 7acres
Okay. Thanks webby!

I just have screws a the top on my Dbl wall and let gravity do the rest.

The most important screws in the whole system are the ones that lock the slip in place. They dont need to be tight, they are just pins.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.