tell me about break-in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
Since the Summit Insert is in and ready, I'd like to do the proper break in fires over the next month. However, I am not certain what a proper break in fire is. Can you all help me out with this.

Thanks

Read the manual, it must tell you about breakin fires. They are just a seris of small fires where you bring the stove up to temp then let it go out./ after several of these I would think your good to go.Sorry but I have a bonfire out backand a six pack and some friends so I have to go.
Rusty

not a peep about it in the manual, I just re-checked as that was the first place I looked.

Thanks, Rick......I never saw that thread from yesterday.

It's basically to cure the paint and stuff like that. The paint on the stove gives off fumes the first couple fires, so crack a window if you can. A couple smaller ones are preferable to a larger one.

Do break in fires accomplish anything else?

cmonSTART said:
...Do break in fires accomplish anything else?

They sure do make you feel good...physically and emotionally, some might even say spiritually. %-P Rick

Thanks for this thread, Ray :)

I was going to post the same thing about the Pacific insert. Manual says Nadd, Nyet, Nyenti :coolsmirk:

Makes no sense !!

Thanks Rick, for the link !!!!!!!!

A steel stove got hotter being welded together than any break-in fire is going to get it.

but they paint it after.....

I just had a small fire...works nice...stinks pretty bad...glad its in the 80's and all the windows are open

Cast or steel they all are painted and stink for a while. The steel ones just don't need to be soft peddled in the process.

several small break-in fires keep surface paint fumes/smoke at manageable levels while the paint is curing, you are also testing the system.(draft, controls, ect.,.) and familarizing yourself with basic operation

I've done three fires in my new T-5. On the third one I basically didn't really smell fumes from the paint. Now it's warmed up so I don't really need a fire since the days are pleasant and I can run a space heater briefly in the morning to take the edge off.

It's been a cold summer here in the Pacific NW.

A break in fire is what you will have this winter. People with oil or gas heat can't pay their heating bills and will break into houses with wood stoves to get warm. Jeff :)

woodburn said:
I've heard that with cast stoves, a few break-ins at the start of each season is wise. Is this true, or is the original break-in sufficient?

Can't imagine what for...unless you re-paint it every summer. ;-) Rick

pinewoodburner said:
A break in fire is what you will have this winter. People with oil or gas heat can't pay their heating bills and will break into houses with wood stoves to get warm. Jeff :)

haha, last year we were runnin low on oil so i always went to the neighbors who had a wood stove to enjoy the abundace of heat...and his keg of beer

trailblaze said:
pinewoodburner said:

haha, last year we were runnin low on oil so i always went to the neighbors who had a wood stove to enjoy the abundace of heat...and his keg of beer

Was the neighbor generally home at the times you did this, or not? %-P Rick

Good kind of neighbor to have! Rick

we just had our 3 rd fire in our new 8021 heritage ..all 3 small and we did not detect any smells other than some smoke from opening the door breffly and maybe a tinge of Crown Royal...what a light show...burn on...burn on ZZZim

Status
Not open for further replies.