tell me about this overfire "glow"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joustinghill

Jun 29, 2008
Mason, NH
It's obvious, right? Not like I should have to turn off the lights, squint and guess if it's glowing?

My stove in set into an existing fireplace so I can't actually see the pipe. I've got a thermometer on the stovetop. I did the typical dumb newbie mistake of loading the stove, opening the air full to char it, and then getting distracted. When I remembered it, the thermometer was completely pegged, claiming to be over 950F. My stove manual just defines overfire as "any part of the stove glowing red" and as far as I can see nothing is glowing.

On the good side, my glass is nice and clean now.

800 was the overfire temp for my old LOPI. Not much you can do about it now.

Highbeam said:
800 was the overfire temp for my old LOPI. Not much you can do about it now.

The manual for my stove says 800 is a "high burn". 600 is a "medium burn". The only definition of an overfire is "glowing".

Your warranty is now null and void. :lol:

The stove top around the flue collar on my old insert took on a cherry red glow at a little over a thousand degrees and the the paint on the thermometer and stove top combusted at 1185 degrees the night it ran away on me.

So if your thermometer and stove top are still painted you probably were around a thousand. It shouldn't be hurt. The bigger question is what kind of temps you were blowing into the liner. I bet it is squeaky clean now.

BrotherBart said:
The stove top around the flue collar on my old insert took on a cherry red glow at a little over a thousand degrees and the the paint on the thermometer and stove top combusted at 1185 degrees the night it ran away on me.

When you live in "real" wood burning climates things dont start happening till you hit the 4 digit mark. Then the word "live" becomes the operative word in the sentence. At least that what my Dad always said........ no, no he didn't, ok you got me.

"The stove top around the flue collar on my old insert took on a cherry red glow at a little over a thousand degrees and the the paint on the thermometer and stove top combusted at 1185 degrees the night it ran away on me. "

Sounds like a story there....come on give it up...

BrotherBart said:
Your warranty is now null and void.

So if your thermometer and stove top are still painted you probably were around a thousand. It shouldn't be hurt. The bigger question is what kind of temps you were blowing into the liner. I bet it is squeaky clean now.

That's ok, I suspect the warranty was already void, what with the stove being 17 years old and all.

I've pegged the Rutland thermometer on my Olympic a few times, never saw anything glowing so I don't believe it hurt anything. Do ya really think that cleared out 25ft of liner?

JMF1 said:
I've pegged the Rutland thermometer on my Olympic a few times, never saw anything glowing so I don't believe it hurt anything. Do ya really think that cleared out 25ft of liner?

Don't know. But if stove top temp is roughly half of the internal temp then there were some pretty hot gasses shooting up that pipe. After mine took off I replaced the liner. Not suggesting it in this case, I had additional reasons, but when I pulled the liner some glaze that we weren't able to get out when the liner was installed had burned up from the heat of the liner during the runaway.

All of this stuff happened because of an undetected crack in the back of the firebox on the old insert that made it uncontrollable. When the liner was added with the attendant added draft it all came together to give me the midnight burn from hell and the stove was pulled and retired after 21 years of faithful service.

Hi all I have poor wood My VC DW med is dying for dry wood . I bought some kiled dryed . amazing . This thing was built for perfect conitions . So its what I have So now I have tyo make her happy
So far I m Happy . I saved 175.00 In nov. and 225 in dec . Lotta work but worth it JM

JoustingHill said:
It's obvious, right? Not like I should have to turn off the lights, squint and guess if it's glowing?

My stove in set into an existing fireplace so I can't actually see the pipe. I've got a thermometer on the stovetop. I did the typical dumb newbie mistake of loading the stove, opening the air full to char it, and then getting distracted. When I remembered it, the thermometer was completely pegged, claiming to be over 950F. My stove manual just defines overfire as "any part of the stove glowing red" and as far as I can see nothing is glowing.

On the good side, my glass is nice and clean now.

If it's glowing, you wont have to look too hard to tell. Havent seen it with my Jotul yet, but saw my dad's Russo coal/wood combo get cherry red a few times in the '80's

carl spackler said:
If it's glowing, you wont have to look too hard to tell. Havent seen it with my Jotul yet, but saw my dad's Russo coal/wood combo get cherry red a few times in the '80's

Thanks. That's what I wanted to be sure of.

I've only seen it on a barrel I was burning scrap lumber in to keep warm outside. It was pretty cool. You could see thru the barrel. I have never done that in the wood stove. Once the temp gets into the overfire zone, I start backing it down.

I've seen the very minimal starts of glwoing with the lights on, but with lights off it's fairly obvious. With lights on, if it's just beginning to glow, (not cherry red), it will look slight brown or rust colored. If you THEN cover the light from it or turn the lights off, you will see the faint glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.