Tell me more about this different fireplace design....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motor7

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2009
East TN.
I was at a buds house for Christmas. His dad passed away a few months prior and the old farmhouse is now his. It was built buy his dad in '61. The fireplace is rather large and being a "stove guy" I thought we would have to sit in the thing to stay warm. We lit off the first fire, and within 10 min I was pushing my chair back & continued to do so all evening. I have never ever felt so much heat coming off a fireplace, I almost had to quit drinking. Granted the living room was small: 25'x 15' and it had an 8' ceiling.

So as my amazment grew, I began to study the design. The fireplace opening was about 40" wide and 30" tall. It had either cast or boiler plate steel lining the entire firebox and it was double walled. We were unable to figure out what the spacing between the liners was, but I am guessing approx 6". There is a cold air intake(10x10") low on each side of the fireplace and an exhaust mate directly above the intakes at mantle height. The intake used to have electric fans in them, but quit working over 20 years ago. These intake/exhaust access the space between the steel liner. I made the mistake of putting my hand on the exhaust grill and it was way hot and had a good convection flow of hot air going back out into the room. This was an open hearth design & a custom removable screen that just sits on the hearth.

Behind the fireplace in a hallway there is acces to the rear of the fireplace. The mason had bricked up behind the liner with about a foot and a half of brick giving the thing some serious thermal mass. The front of the fireplace was bricked in Tennessee field stone & was 16' long, floor to ceiling. When I first saw it, nothing jumped out about it that looked much different than any other large fireplace. When my parents built their dream home in the 70's they put in a beautiful gigantic brick fireplace.....the thing was stunning....but put out zero heat(I swear it just sucked existing heat out of the room). They ended up with an insert w/blower & it was anemic at best for heat production.

So, my big 'ole Hearthstone is going in the basement for the main heating job and we will build a fireplace in the main floor/great room. Since seeing and experiencing a fireplace that actually works, I am felling a little better about a fireplace. Now, here are my questions:
Was this thing a store bought/Mfg'd steel fireplace liner? or was it something from the mind of my bud's father(who also built the entire house himself)?
I think I can replicate it(have welder will travel), will mild steel work say 1/4 thick?
Has anyone here ever seen anything like this?

RD

Reactions: judith
Have I stumped the experts?

My fireplace has something like it- air comes in side vents, gets heated by the liner, and rises out another set of vents at the top of the sides. It's passive. My wife's aunt has a fan powered one that really throws some heat. It's more efficient than an open fireplace, but less than an insert, so I installed an insert in mine.

No Don and I caught heck from the wife when I got home for leaving the camera beind. I'll see if I can get my bud to shoot some pic's of it next time he is there. It really just looks like a regular extra large fireplace.

RD

Ok, you burners....the unknown is a challenge for me. I guess I will have to design and build my own fireplace firebox. The wife is dead set on a fireplace on the main floor. I'm ok with that since the Hearthstone I is going in the basement & will hopefully do the bulk of the heating.
It will be some time, since i haven't finished cutting the logs for the house yet, but I will update whe it comes time to build the fireplace.

RD

The design is known as a Heatilator or brickolator.
I searched to the literal end of the internet to find anything about them prior to install the Clydesdale
mine was similar design with lower intake louvers, upper exhaust circulators and outside cold air intake.
my hearth was not quite as large and block/brick construction.
I didn't have any evidence of blower installed but did have the natural convection effect after getting it stoked up.
Take a look up the flue and see if there is a passage from front to back either tubes or a triangular pyramid box traversing the flue.

Reactions: judith
Thanks Basod, I'll take a look next time I'm down there. BG, those are nice, but way out of my price range...at this moment :coolsmirk:

I am thinking using 3/16ths steel for the doubles sides & building my own damper, River Rock for the face/surround. I have a year or so to scrounge the steel, & should be an interesting build.

RD

Status
Not open for further replies.