Tell us about your hobbies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmiser

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2011
Garnet Valley, PA
I am always interested in what people do for fun besides wood burning.
Myself... I play with diesel pickup trucks, tractors and fly RC planes and helicopters.

This is my man cave after the bomb dropped LOL

Attachments

• bomb.jpg
    bomb.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,063
Hunting! Although I rarely kill anything. I just killed my first deer in 5 years. Usually the cars kill the deer on my 35MPH road and I just get them (We eat 2 deer per year). Nobody's been killing deer this year so I had too. Hunted Moose in Alaska in September (Great time but nothing shot) and going to South Africa in June. Usually spend 30-40 days in the woods a year. Goes along great with the firewood hobby.

Also some running. Did Tough Mudder, 11 mile obstacle course with 3,500' of elevation gain last April, and signed up again for this year. Training involves 2-3 runs per week usually 3-6 miles each.

As you can tell, anything that gets me outside is my hobby.

Riding the Ultra Classic Electra Glide (OK, Geezer Glide) takes up most
of our Spring, Summer & Fall, with some Winter miles thrown in. We both
bowl in a mixed league from September to April. Other than that I work on
our A-Frame. I'm in year NINE of my FIVE-YEAR plan...Then there's this Forum
that's called Hearth.com...

DAKSY said:
I'm in year NINE of my FIVE-YEAR plan..

I love this!

I guess I like to think I'm a hobby farmer. Would love to do more if I had the resources, particularly time and land. Right now it's garden, a few bees, a few chickens.

Lets see...

Longest time hobby.... RC flying... I fly 3D and pattern aerobatics and scale. I like to build from kits and plans (a dying art). Glow, gas and electric.

These are a few of the current fleet. I also have an profile Ultimate Bipe, Clipped wing Piper Cub and a Small electric Triplane building. Have a big (85") P-51 and 89" Albatros D.Va biplane queued up to start after those. More projects giong than I can possibly finish in the next 5 years.
223267_1013293262258_1522838115_30056531_6958_n.jpg

Last few years you will find me spending the bulk of my free time working on the house. We live in a 200 year old Cape and Im slowly trying to undo bad renovations and restore it somewhat closer to original. See my avatar...
(Some of my projects are documented over on oldhouseweb - http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19728)

I also like vintage audio. I have rebuilt some old tube gear from the 60s (McIntoshes and H.H. Scott), and built a set of DIY 3 way speakers with 10 inch woofers. AC/DC or Zeppelin on vinyl sounds sweet through the tube amp and those big speakers :)

I used to go hiking and backpacking a lot but havent been into it as much lately.

Geocaching, ATVing, snowmobiling, hiking, camping, travel . . .

jharkin said:
Lets see...

Longest time hobby.... RC flying... I fly 3D and pattern aerobatics and scale. I like to build from kits and plans (a dying art). Glow, gas and electric.

These are a few of the current fleet. I also have an profile Ultimate Bipe, Clipped wing Piper Cub and a Small electric Triplane building. Have a big (85") P-51 and 89" Albatros D.Va biplane queued up to start after those. More projects giong than I can possibly finish in the next 5 years.

Last few years you will find me spending the bulk of my free time working on the house. We live in a 200 year old Cape and Im slowly trying to undo bad renovations and restore it somewhat closer to original. See my avatar...
(Some of my projects are documented over on oldhouseweb - http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19728)

I also like vintage audio. I have rebuilt some old tube gear from the 60s (McIntoshes and H.H. Scott), and built a set of DIY 3 way speakers with 10 inch woofers. AC/DC or Zeppelin on vinyl sounds sweet through the tube amp and those big speakers :)

I used to go hiking and backpacking a lot but havent been into it as much lately.

Nice planes. I can't do 3D planes but I can do some with the helis. Mostly now I play with myself, gloat and look in the mirror.
I'm into audio too. Just recently added a Bryston 14B SST (900 WPC) amp and a pair of Legacy Audio Focus SE' to my A/V room. It's the same room the Equinox is in.

This is my system..
L/R: Legacy Focus SE Pearl Black
Center: Paradigm C5
Surround sides: SA-15R Ceilings
Surround backs: SA-15R-30 Ceilings
Sub: Velodyne SPL-1000 Series 1
Sub: SVS PB13-Ultra.
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-05
Mains Amp: Bryston 14B SST
BluRay: Panasonic BMP-BDT210
Plasma: Panasonic TH-65PZ850U (65")
Cabinet: Salamander Synergy

woodmiser said:
Nice planes. I can't do 3D planes but I can do some with the helis.
I'm into audio too. Just recently added a Bryston 14B SST (900 WPC) amp and a pair of Legacy Audio Focus SE' to my A/V room. It's the same room the Equinox is in.

Wood if you can 3D a heli, airplanes are a piece of cake. I cant even hover a heli :)

BTW, you have more watts per channel there than I have watts in my entire house! My pride and joy is aMac240... Its output in watts barely beats its weight in pounds.

Drinking Beer!

I do some things around drinking beer, like fishing, boating, building stuff, garden, keeping a pile of old equipment running, etc. but mostly it is designed around beer.

Reactions: Scols
Jags said:
Drinking Beer!

I do some things around drinking beer, like fishing, boating, building stuff, garden, keeping a pile of old equipment running, etc. but mostly it is designed around beer.

Nice Jagsy....everything goes with beer.... :p Great minds think alike....so they say!
I collect silver jewelry....I've got a nice lil collection..... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
Nice Jagsy....everything goes with beer....

Ever see Bubba from Jeff Dunhams comedy show. That dummy was based off of this dummy.

The Mrs. & I rescue cats... mostly Siamese cats. This explains the need for the stove in the first place, because they are little heat sponges. Mrs. Blue calls them "heat-seeking Meezles."

Got rid of a lot of old hobbies to make room for this new wood habit- no more motorcycles or guns. In fact, turned my S&W 653 .357 into a Stihl MS192 in the space of a weekend. I wonder if I can do the same magic with a Mossberg 500 Tactical....

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
We only get one go around here and I was spread too thin, so I've dropped some hobbies like astronomy. I still love gardening, but at least we can do that together. I like hiking too, but am not geared up for the serious stuff, so mostly I do day hikes.

BeGreen said:
We only get one go around here

More people should live like they really understand that.
My hobby was always work. I just loved to work. Got that out of my system
and I'm now preparing the escape pods and flight plans. We have one if by land, and one if by water.
The next chapter, "Voyaging."
Kenny

@ Woodmiser

I used to build model planes, cars, boats, etc., when I was a kid. My senior year I bought a big balsawood airplane kit; it had a 3 foot wingspan. Only after I had worked on it for a while did it occur to me that I needed a motor for it also.

I got the wings and the fuselage done, the landing gear installed, and mostly it just needed the "fabric" tissue paper applied and, of course, the engine. That's when I waved the white flag.

I went to visit a cousin in Ohio who had built little rubber-band model airplanes when he was a kid. I took my 3-ft monster to him. Said "finish it."

Nice idea. Until his two-year-old daughter said "Ooh, airpane!" and sat on it.

CRUNCH.

That memory ouches me to this day.

Edited to add that back in the day another cousin taught me to fly the real thing and, for a year or so, I had my own Cessna 150. When it needed a top overhaul and I was broke, I sold it.

Nancy

I've been a ham radio operator since 1974. Callsigns have been WB3CCU, KE3BH and NA3N. Haven't been that active lately, but love CW (Morse Code).

Knit, when I'm not too lazy.

Music, I guess, is my main thing these days. I play the drumset with the Somerset County Community Band.

Nancy

I was foolish enough to start a company, so now I slave away at that most of the time in addition to taking care of an infant.

Before that, I was big into Hi-Fi audio. Have a nice 2 channel set-up at home that I still listen to, but not like before due to time constraints.

woodmiser said:
jharkin said:
Lets see...

Nice planes. I can't do 3D planes but I can do some with the helis.

This is my system..
L/R: Legacy Focus SE Pearl Black
Center: Paradigm C5
Surround sides: SA-15R Ceilings
Surround backs: SA-15R-30 Ceilings
Sub: Velodyne SPL-1000 Series 1
Sub: SVS PB13-Ultra.
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-05
Mains Amp: Bryston 14B SST
BluRay: Panasonic BMP-BDT210
Plasma: Panasonic TH-65PZ850U (65")
Cabinet: Salamander Synergy

I run a Classe Amp, Lexicon DvD, Audio Research Pre-Amp, Krell DAC, and assorted other power conditioners, etc. I have a tube amp too, but I don't connect that up much. My turntable was entry level, and was never set-up right, so I never got into that. For the price of 180 gram vinyl, I cannot justify being a vinyl snob.

Reactions: Jack Fate
I built plastic models, mostly big trucks until I started working too much. I got pretty heavy into scratch building stuff and projects started taking years instead of weeks or months to complete and I think that's what pulled me out of it.

paystartriaxle.jpg

MackRwlowboy.jpg

salexandertrucksall.jpg

When we bought the house in '03, it became my hobby along with wood burning and the associated tools and accessories.

I bought my '70 Flatbedford in '06 to haul wood and to work on too.

DSC05347.jpg

It needs some body work and I don't have the equipment or a space to do it myself, nor do I have the money to pay somebody else to do it. So, I'm not sure what will happen to my restoration plans.

Mrs. Flatbedford and I also have a small powerboat that we kept on the Hudson River until we kinda grew out of it. It is in the backyard for now until we decide what to do with it.

My newest vice is IH Cub Cadet tractors. I started with a '68 125 in 2010.

DSC06588.jpg

...and I picked up this '72 149 a couple weeks ago. It is a non runner , but should be running in a few weeks.
DSC06893.jpg

They look good together.
DSC06897.jpg

No wonder I have no money or time!

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Here is one of my hobbies. I also like to be in a crew for Race Across AMerica.
CarbonAero2.jpg

Other hobbies are deer hunting, chess, leathercrafting and just plain monkeying around.

I just got back into r/c Heli - been learning for the last 3 or 4 years - but kind of started out with the "wrong" heli (Blade CP Pro, which, admittedly, wasn't the best first choice) but now I can at least hover it and have been having a blast with a little micro Blade MCPX. Can't fly 3d, but I can at least drift it around, make it go where I want it to, and keep it under control. I started with Nitro-powered fixed wing, but now they just sit in the garage. Electric is just so much easier to deal with and I can play with the heli's in my backyard or in the case of the cpx, in my living room.

The other thing is motorcycling, with both a 2005 Kawi Concours and 2011 HD Road Glide Ultra. Logged 10K this year on the Ultra alone (acquired it in May) and maybe 4 or 5K on the Concours. Earned my SaddleSore 1K cert from the Iron Butt association (yes, there is such a thing....). Even got to get the RoadGlide out on the road on New Years day.

I have an MCPx on the kitchen table right now LOL
My fleet includes a Miniature Air Stratus, Trex 600N nitro and a few electric 450's
I also have the V-22 Osprey that's been taking me forever to maiden. You can see the fuselage in the first picture.

There's a great yearly funfly up there in Rochester.... Rochester RAMS Northeast Model Helicopter Jamboree (Macedon). i want to go one of these years. Usually in September.

Is this real? (not mine)

Attachments

• 0189.jpg
    0189.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 584
Status
Not open for further replies.