Tell us about your hobbies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
DaFattKidd said:
So the hobbies I really enjoy are surfing, mountain biking, hiking, helping people in need, and laughing my head off. I'm pretty passionate about health and fitness.

Right now my son is only 4, and we have another one coming so I haven't surfed in 4 years, mountain bike rarely, but I do occasionally find opportunities to help people, and we do go hiking (shorter hikes for now), and exercising has become increasingly difficult to find time to fully commit as I am accustomed to doing.

So truthfully, with a young family hobbies just take a back seat for a while. I'm amazed at how many of you have such interesting hobbies. I feel like such a lamo.

Hang in there, D ! My truck, trailer, and Dixie came after Erin graduated from college. It took awhile >:-(

Thanks. That's good to hear. To be honest, I'm not complaining. I'm very aware that this time is precious and I'll never get it back. one thing I'm trying to do is switch my gym membership to a gym that has child care. This way I can bring the little guy with me and give my wife a break. I do really miss going to the gym.

DaFattKidd said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
DaFattKidd said:
So the hobbies I really enjoy are surfing, mountain biking, hiking, helping people in need, and laughing my head off. I'm pretty passionate about health and fitness.

Right now my son is only 4, and we have another one coming so I haven't surfed in 4 years, mountain bike rarely, but I do occasionally find opportunities to help people, and we do go hiking (shorter hikes for now), and exercising has become increasingly difficult to find time to fully commit as I am accustomed to doing.

So truthfully, with a young family hobbies just take a back seat for a while. I'm amazed at how many of you have such interesting hobbies. I feel like such a lamo.

Hang in there, D ! My truck, trailer, and Dixie came after Erin graduated from college. It took awhile >:-(

Thanks. That's good to hear. To be honest, I'm not complaining. I'm very aware that this time is precious and I'll never get it back. one thing I'm trying to do is switch my gym membership to a gym that has child care. This way I can bring the little guy with me and give my wife a break. I do really miss going to the gym.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Giving the Mrs. a break ..... priceless
smilies-30222.png

Hey smoke show. I think your boating hobby would be much easier if you used a boat rather that those ATVs. :)

smoke show said:
this when time permits.

are you trying to drown the ATV????
or
did you break through the ice???
if so
lose some weight

Timely thread for me. Just moved out one 26' truck, two 17' trucks, five pickup trucks pulling a 12' trailer, and eight trips full of junk with my Camry wagon (each trip with yet another canoe on the roof rack). It's amazing the crap you accumulate in 21 years staying in one place.

Yesterday was the very last of it (except for about 10 cord of pine logs). My buddy Greg with the trailer helped me move my forge, three anvils, a 300 pound canoe form, and various partly-completed metal working projects that had the 6000 pound trailer pretty well maxed out. His thoughts?

"Dan... you really need to get some lighter hobbies."

Nothing like packing and moving everything you own to make you shake your head in disbelief at your own follies. When I met my wife, my only hobbies were fishing and playing the guitar. In the 33 years since then I have added (and often abandoned) dozens of major and minor interests. Not necessarily in chronological order:

- gourmet cooking
- musical instrument making and repair
- canoe tripping
- martial arts
- fly fishing
- boatbuilding
- bamboo fly rod making
- large format photography
- home brewing
- metal sculpture
- blacksmithing
- hot glass work
- outdoor guiding
- BBQing
- welding
- wood turning
- chainsaw carving
- silversmithing
- beaded jewelry making
- fly tying
- shotgunning
- gardening
- knife making

Latest hobby is sitting in the recliner with a whisky and a pack of tobacco, rollings cigarettes while watching the pellet stove keep my aching old bones warm. It's quite obvious to me at this point that my hobbies and possessions have had a firm hold on me, rather than the other way around. Time to start letting go and just enjoying my remaining years. They say that the man who dies with the most toys wins. Well, I think I'll be selling a few things on E-bay in the coming months. Let some other guy win.

Batten- sounds like we're cut from the same cloth in this regard. I like learning things, then often move to something else when I'm confident in the skill. I can count a dozen or more hobbies over the years, and I may be starting on blacksmithing

Adios Pantalones said:
Batten- sounds like we're cut from the same cloth in this regard. I like learning things, then often move to something else when I'm confident in the skill. I can count a dozen or more hobbies over the years, and I may be starting on blacksmithing

Thats my problem. I want to do everything. Heck, I even pour my own fishing sinkers. :smirk:

Battenkiller said:
...five pickup trucks pulling a 12' trailer...

Wow, 5 pickups to pull a 12' trailer. :roll: That must have been some load, or else there are some tough hills between your old place and the new one! Rick

About 2 years ago I read a book about John Adams, which led to most of the founding fathers. I started buying apple trees, now I've got 12 apple, 5 plum, 2 apricot, 1 cherry and one peach. I planted a rasberry patch. Small little lot in the swamp without a lot of sun. Pretty stupid to waste $500 on trees in this location, but I have dreams about picking my own apples 20 years from now.

Battenkiller said:
- large format photography

You live in, imo, the perfect place to take up this hobby. Or reasonably near, I don't know if you're north, south, east or west of the blue line...but close enough. I don't envy the black flies though. I'll take the sand flies over them anyday.

I forgot to mention that I would like to take up canning and root cellaring. I need a lot more space to garden...and a root cellar first though (we don't even have a basement).

My hobby is being a beast of burden for my wife - and the rest of the family. That is, hauling everyone and everything everywhere.....!
:coolsmirk:

Hmmm...not too many hobbies these days. I'm sorta ADD, which doesn't go well with the patience required to build a boat or anything much........

I enjoy a lot of things - mostly nature, sailing, walking, computing (obviously), politics, writing.....and maybe a little tennis or skiing when I can get it in.

I don't like TV. I don't like going to the movies. I told you I was ADD.

I enjoy reading - mostly history, but some other stuff. Well, really, mostly history...non-fiction or fiction.

I like taking pictures.

But none of them actually qualifies currently as a hobby.

Say it every time one of these threads comes up, my hobby is heating my house.

kenny chaos said:
Webmaster said:
I told you I was ADD.

I enjoy reading - .

Very interesting.

Speed reader.....but you probably could have guessed that, eh?

You should see me skip over stuff that is not relevant. I'm the ultimate test of a good book...IMHO. Many times I only get 1/3 of the way through.

Hobbies .......... hmmmmmm ..................................let's see....................e, f, g, h, here we are, let's see, hamburgers, hammers, hamsters, heat, hemp, high, hi-ho, hillbilly,hobbitses, houses, hungry, hydrangea, nope, don't see 'em on the list anywhere. What are these things of which you speak ????

Dowsing for water (or other underground treasures), throwing sharpened sticks at small animals, analyzing my own handwriting, researching age-related memory loss...others will come to mind, I'm sure (with any luck). %-P

Hobby... why, I'm working on my "Bucket List," of course!

Fishing -salt, fresh, ice and flyfishing and tying flies.
Woodcarving-songbirds,ducks,shorebirds. I used to be a competitive bird carver years ago.
Woodworking -Craftsman style furniture making, furniture restoration, repairing and re-purposing.
Small Craftsman style hand-hammered copper sheet work.
Wood turning - mostly saltwater poppers.
House restoration to reflect the period of when it was built.
Carpentry and trim finish work.
My next project involves carving interesting grained wood, into Netsuke-style carvings. Much bigger though.

ironpony said:
are you trying to drown the ATV????
or
did you break through the ice???
if so
lose some weight

Twas my buddy, he's a lil chunky.

I'll let him know.

Flatbedford said:
Hey smoke show. I think your boating hobby would be much easier if you used a boat rather that those ATVs. :)

What fun would that be? :lol:

Geocaching!
Fireworks Shows (the real ones during the holidays since I'm a Licensed Pyrotechician)
Reading
Skiing (not much this year)
Hiking

I want to start vermicomposting

Tons of other random stuff that I think might be interesting at that point in time.

I used to be into anything lacrosse. College over so is that.
Bought a house and decided to just replace everything. Should have just built new. That takes up basically all my time.
Still enjoy hunting, get out whenever i can. Used to trout fish, but those days are now put toward the house.
I just love building anything. Had a ground up built mustang, till i wrecked it, luckily making it out with my life. Wife says no more sports cars for awhile. Im fine with it. Have too many slow things like a diesel jeep and a 76 yamaha dt 360 to work on.
Got chickens, more of a chore.
Trying to learn everything.

And then i started collecting woodstoves...

Status
Not open for further replies.