Tell your technician ALL the symptoms - it might save you a bundle of money.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

603BOB

Feb 27, 2009
NH
My Harman Advance - purchased in 2001 - has been almost flawless - except for a seized distribution blower in year 6 of the 5 year warranty. W. W. Grainger is nearby - easy fix.

But: I recently noticed things happening that were not normal, and they occurred roughly in this order:

Lazy flame with smoky tips.
Feed motor making "growling" noises.
Feed motor light on control board blinking 2 or 3 times at end of feed cycle.
Distribution blower making "thumping" noise - like bad bearing - at some speeds.
Slow smoky ignition often with the loud "poof".
And the finale was the distribution blower stopped running in room temp mode, but ran OK in stove temp only in manual - would not run in auto.

Time to trade it in? NO - time to do what I have done for 50 years with electro-mechanical systems - step back, analyze the evidence, and fix it.

The blower is OK because it will run - all the other symptoms have been discussed "ad nauseum" in these forums, and had no common thread.

The control board sends commands to the blower - it is sending some but not all and not proper. The control board controls the distribution blower, the combustion blower, the feed motor, and the igniter. That suggests the control board as the starting point.

It was the control board and the cost of the part to repair it was $1.22 - even the local Radio Shack has them at their inflated price of $1.59.

ALL of the symptoms disappeared with the board repair !! The old Harman is as good as new.

I am not suggesting that you try this at home - I am lucky to have the experience and equipment to handle the job.

I only want to make the point that you get familiar with what is normal on your unit. Before you spend money willy-nilly on expensive parts - tell your service tech everything that you have observed, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you.

And before you replace those expensive parts - ask if the tech can try a substitute board. In my case the board was sending really bad info to everything under it's control.

NO - I don't repair these, and don't want to start a new business - but the board is simple and straight forward - any competent tech that can trouble shoot to the component level can easily handle them.

Amen, brother ;)

Contrary to some posters at this site...there is no proprietary programming on-board these Control Boards.

As long as one has skills and able to locate direct component replacement parts these boards are very repairable!

And as you have stated...done very inexpensively!

How about places charging $250.00 to do what you just did for less than $2 bucks!!!!

603BOB, what was the actual problem on the board, how did you narrow it down to that component, and what did you do to replace it?

Master of Smoke,

Just hope that the system doesn't have any PLAs or equivalent on the circuit board as you can get an exact replacement part but it ain't gonna work.

Some of the control boards have just gotten filled up with bells and whistles.

What gets me is that electronics are generally prone to failure under high temperature and being in an electrical noise environment. Both of which describe the interior of the stove shell.

Master of Smoke said:
Amen, brother ;)

Contrary to some posters at this site...there is no proprietary programming on-board these Control Boards.

As long as one has skills and able to locate direct component replacement parts these boards are very repairable!

And as you have stated...done very inexpensively!

How about places charging $250.00 to do what you just did for less than $2 bucks!!!!

Hm...dont see any problem with charging $250 to replace the board.....dealers dont replace individual components, they replace the board....which can be $150 or so...then there's travel time, time to diagnose and repair the issue............

Lousyweather said:
Hm...dont see any problem with charging $250 to replace the board.....dealers dont replace individual components, they replace the board....which can be $150 or so...then there's travel time, time to diagnose and repair the issue............

I agree...Sorry if I came off wrong.

My reference was not aimed towards a dealer service call.

I am referring to a DIY internet purchase/repair.

There will always be a need of professional service...someone who knows their field of expertise... and can leave their customer with piece of mind.

Dealer service call is way different situation.

Master of Smoke said:
Lousyweather said:

I agree...Sorry if I came off wrong.

My reference was not aimed towards a dealer service call.

I am referring to a DIY internet purchase/repair.

There will always be a need of professional service...someone who knows their field of expertise... and can leave their customer with piece of mind.

Dealer service call is way different situation.

agreed totally! Most dealers, including myself, just dont have the time to troubleshoot board issues and rectify the situation. Its frankly beyond our area of expertise. But sure, if you are that tech savvy, your board is beyond warrantee, be my guest.....why not?!

Status
Not open for further replies.