Temco fireback replacement - A DIY gone wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laslaff

Apr 27, 2014
florida
According to the internet, it should be a piece of cake to replace the back wall (refractory panel) of my fireplace. I have a Temco 42" Flush Face Heat Circulating Fireplace. But trying to get the front 3 metal panels off is a nightmare. I have removed all of the screws, but something is holding the top panel in place. It looks like it may be a spring that connects the flue arm to the panel itself. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model?

While I don't have ANY experience with your particular model, I HAVE replaced the refractories in many different models.
In NONE of them was the ANY disassembly of the firebox sheet metal required. All that had to be removed (or moved) were
some small metal tabs or brackets holding the refractories in position. Generally speaking, the bottom is the first one in. The rear goes in next, & sits ON the bottom refractory. The sides go in last & in no particular order & they sit on the bottom & hold the rear in position. The two sides are the ones that are secured by tabs or brackets. Look at your side panels, near the top of each one. You may find this is the case with yours. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
While I don't have ANY experience with your particular model, I HAVE replaced the refractories in many different models.
In NONE of them was the ANY disassembly of the firebox sheet metal required. All that had to be removed (or moved) were
some small metal tabs or bracketys holding the refractories in position. Generally speaking, the bottom is the first one in. The rear goes in next, & sits ON the bottom refractory. The sides go in last & in no particular order & they sit on the bottom & hold the rear in position. The two sides are the ones that are secured by tabs or brackets. Look at your side panels, near the top of each one. You may find this is the case with yours. Let us know how you make out.
I called out a professional and you were 100% right, Bob. All it took was quite a bit of muscle. Thanks for you response!

I called out a professional and you were 100% right, Bob. All it took was quite a bit of muscle. Thanks for you response!

Hi, I just ran into the same problem. Did the professional had to unscrew all these screws all over the place, or just the the total of four on the two clips at the upper back of the stove ? Or do you mean the bit of muscle was needed just to finish what you had started ?

Status
Not open for further replies.