Temco (?) older fireplace w/built in damper problem...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnxfan

Nov 26, 2007
NJ USA
Hi,

We are purchasing a home with a fireplace. The glass doors on this unit have a built in slide that controls the damper - this does not work correctly. I believe it is a Temco. I am able to see some markings on the doors: Temco GD 36-1 BL or BR SD 36-1.

Is this an item that you can repair/replace? I have attached a photo.

Regards and thx in advance!

bob

ps, the spark screen is broken too.

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,032
CFM Majestic purchased Temco and it is very possible that there are new doors currently being manufactured to fit this unit.

That said, these doors (as I remember) were quite loose fitting and an air control on the doors would do very little to control the fire. With open fireplaces like this, the best mode of operation is to use the unit with doors open during your attended fires, and then close them when the fire is low or going out. This allows you (open) to get max radiant heat during the hot fires, and then stops excess heat loss up the chimney in the later stages. So, all in all, I don't think you have to do anything about the doors other than lubricate, etc.

Thank you. The major issue is the slider built in to the doors that controls the damper. It is loose and doesn't always open and close correctly. Is there anyway to retrofit the damper so you can simply open and close it from within the fireplace itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.