Temp of wall with 3" pellet pipe and wall thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all, As I'm new to pellet stove and have been learning alot the last couple of days. I have a question about the wall timble for my Selkirk flue. I tied to follow the installation instruction to the tee but in the supplement instruction sheet it says to cut an 6 1/4 opening whitch i did. I ran the stove today to get all the oil smell burnt out. While doing this i noticed the metal from the wall thimble was Hot to the touch, I could not keep my hand on it. So I went back to rereading the installation instructions and it say to have 3" of clearance's around the pipe, That sheet say to have 9 1/2" opening so I did. When i did cut the opening bigger tonight I rechecked to make sure there was no insulation around touching the thimble. It just seams very warm/hot to the touch on the metal thimble. Should I be worried that I did something wrong. I do have the stove much farther away from the wall then spec say to. I did call tech help at Selkirk but they said the wall thimble at 6 1/2" was ok. Im all mixed up tonight. Any help would be great. Thanks Fespo

The 3" clearance is for Canada probably, for PelletPro (Simpson) you only need 1" clearance in the USA (pellet exhaust must be hotter in Canada?). Could be different for your venting though. Anyway.... that's about all I can add. Maybe someone with a direct vent pellet setup can let you know if theirs gets that hot as well. Do you by chance have access to an infrared temp gun?

I think its just colder in Canada, so the heating season is longer and creosote thus a bigger problem. The cold also makes condensation of creosote more likely and that then compounded by the longer season. So the Canadians are just being more conservative. Even the lowest latitude parts of Canada are higher than most of the highest latitude parts of the US (excluding Alaska) so I think it is fair to say that heating in Canada is quite a bit different to the USA since we have a milder climate. Their more conservative rules are probably as a result of a higher incidence of chimney fires than in the US.

Another way of looking at the situation is that there are more people living in relatively remote areas in Canada, where one cannot just pick up the phone and dial 911 if something goes wrong. Raising the Minimum standard (which is what code is) is just another way to give people a chance when things go wrong.

When I installed my wall thimble , it said a min. of 1" I gave it 3" clearance, you can put your hand above the pipe were it is hot but not burning hot and below and on the side it is alot cooler, vent pipe sits almost 5" from the wall where it said 3"was OK, can you see daylight threw your thimble, I think hot air escapes threw that gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.