Temp prob for P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugize

Aug 26, 2006
Skowhegan,Maine
Hiya all, I am installing a new p68 Thursday...
Was wondering what others have done to run the temp prob that's under the stove,to a different area of the room/house. The dealer said it is just regular thermostat wire...I assumed I could buy an extension that had a sensor on it and wire it to the wire/prob that's under the stove...he told me no!!!???
I had a Accentra insert in my old house...I found when I ran in room mode,the unit never sensed how warm it was,because the prob was...under the unit...close to the floor...therfor running full blast till it ran out of pellets and the house would be 80 instead of 70.
I ended up running that unit in stove mode....I don't want to/nor should have to run the new one that way.
Plus...the new one will be in an area that's close to an outside door,so...when the door is opened...it will get a cold draft.
Any idea...input will be helpful...thx

I know there is info on that try doing a search :) slow time of year on the forums ,but someone who has done this will chime in , Hope this helps

I just used regular thermostat wire, I believe it was 18 guage. I just spliced it to the existing temp probe and hung the probe at about eye level 15 ft. away from the stove.

Even better is to put a thermostat in series with the one of the probe wires. If you use a SkyTech wireless T-Stat, then you can put it anywhere.

Then set the temp on the stove to 80 Deg F or higher than the T-Stat temp setting. Then the T-Stat will control the temperature. :) I will be doing that in the fall with my P-61a but others in the forum have already done that.

Even better is to put a thermostat in series with the one of the probe wires. If you use a SkyTech wireless T-Stat, then you can put it anywhere.

Then set the temp on the stove to 80 Deg F or higher than the T-Stat temp setting. Then the T-Stat will control the temperature. :) I will be doing that in the fall with my P-61a but others in the forum have already done that.
Did exactly that on my stove. I think the directions say that the thermostat has to be within 20 feet of the receiver that you wire in series with the probe on the back of the stove.

Did exactly that on my stove. I think the directions say that the thermostat has to be within 20 feet of the receiver that you wire in series with the probe on the back of the stove.

Do u have your T-Stat in the same room?

No. It is across the room probably 15 feet away.

I want to put my T-Stat in the upstairs hallway near to the register that ducts up the heat. I think that should work. Just like having it near the stove?

Update...the temp wire prob is a bit longer with the stove,than the Accentra insert I had.
Install went slick...but went to do a trial run...it wouldn't light in auto.....tried 4-5 times.
Replaced ignitor...checked to make sure of no air leaks...simulated a power outage...by covering exhaust and unplugging...no smoke in house what so ever.
They called the factory tech to double check dipwsith settings...
The pellets used are ones they brought with them...Crabbe I think...which,when lit with gel, they burned great...stove ran great...but just wont light in auto??????

Status
Not open for further replies.