temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishKiller

Jan 25, 2013
I finally hit my earth stove 1002C in the basement with an IE gun and here are my result. i took my temps over a half hour period and during a mid cat burn. Directly over the cat is showing 850ish, with some pretty big swings depending on how i adjusted the airflow. surrounding stove top was sitting around 680-722. 14" up the stove pipe was running at 385, 28" up at the bend was running at 331.
this was on a medium load of 4 splits (2 smaller, 2 normal). i have a stove top thermo that was showing 700 away from the cat. a big load will run 750 according to the thermo. cat housing had a light glow to it, which seems to be normal whenever i get a good cat burn. (no stove glow ever).

does this sound good? she gets really hot over directly over the cat, but the stove top seems to suck up most of the heat. i'm more concerned about my stove pipe temps. what do you think?

It's typical for a cat stove to make most of its heat at the catalyst. Are the flue temps on single or double wall pipe with a probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.