Temp Questions On Newly installed Enviro Evolution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
HI All
I finally installed the Enviro Evolution pellet stove that I bought new in the late summer of 2008. A surgery and some health problems delayed me doing the install but starting to get back up to par now.
Building inspector did the WETT inspection a week ago and my install passed with no problems. Was just glad my building permit was still good after close to a year and a half.
I am really loving the stove so far but have a couple of questions about the heat on both output and pipe temp.
I live in South Eastern Ontario Canada and tonight its cold out so I am running the stove on the 4 setting. I put the wifes meat thermometer in the front of where the air blows out of the stove at the baffles. The temp shows to be 155 degrees. Is this good or high or low? The temp in the room its in is at about 78, upstairs is around 68, basement around 42. Going to have to keep an eye on that dont need frozen pipes. Seems to be heating the whole house not too bad which I never really expected it to do.
Second question is the stove pipe is Excell pellet stove pipe, 4 foot run up inside then through 18 inch stone wall to the outside. Pipe goes 17 inches away from the house when it reaches the outside of the house. I am not able to hold my hand on the pipe its just too hot. When I had the stove running on 3 for a few days when it was warmer out I could hold my hand on the pipe with no problem. Is this normal?
I do not have outside air hooked up to stove yet as per a chat I had with the fire chief. He said with my old house to try it without the OAK since the house is plenty drafty enough. Also I do not have a thermostat hooked up yet. Should I hook a thermostat up to stove or are they really needed?
Any comments or information would be kindly appericated.
Terry

Terry,

Congrats on your install. Happy you finally got the Evolution up and running.

I am not familiar with that stove I have a much older Enviro from 2000.

It sounds like your stove is running well. It also sounds like you are getting good in room heat and enough circulation to at least offset your main heating. That is about all you can ask for in a space heater.

I have the same problem with my basement. It gets cold down there. Not a freeze problem down here on Cape Cod. But, my shop is down there and I don't like to work in the cold. I use a small electric space heater when I am at my lathe.

I would think if you play around with your exhaust damper and adjust it to optimum setting for your feed rate you should be able to extract as much heat as possible and not lose too much out the vent. You will lose some but that is the nature of the beast.

Perhaps somebody more familiar with your stove will chime in.

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.