temp settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warm in VT

Sep 24, 2008
Northern Vt
After reading another thread I am wondering about the heat settings and savings in wood. Once the unit is up to temp and the water is heated, does it make any difference what temp you set the unit at. If it is going to heat the water 5 degrees every time it fires what difference does it make if you are heating to 150, 160, or 170 degrees? It still only heats 5 degrees every time it fires no matter what temp it is heating to. Of course the savings is going to be not heating all the way to the higher temp the first time.

warm in VT said:
After reading another thread I am wondering about the heat settings and savings in wood. Once the unit is up to temp and the water is heated, does it make any difference what temp you set the unit at. If it is going to heat the water 5 degrees every time it fires what difference does it make if you are heating to 150, 160, or 170 degrees? It still only heats 5 degrees every time it fires no matter what temp it is heating to. Of course the savings is going to be not heating all the way to the higher temp the first time.

Unless I misunderstand your question, there's no 'when it fires'. The boiler typically runs at full bore until the outlet starts to approach the setpoint. As it starts to get close, the controller will start to slow down the fan (or perhaps close a damper - I speak from my personal experience here). If the outlet temp exceeds the setpoint, the controller may shut down the boiler as much as it can - by turning off the fan, for instance.

For an indoor boiler, there's no lost energy in heating the boiler higher. You'll get that heat back at some point. The only loss is that a higher water jacket temperature means a higher flue temperature so you're losing a bit more up the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.