Temp to launch pump on EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
I know leaddog is launching his 80 at 170* I changed my 60 to launch the pump(turn on) at 170* to help with shutting the pump down sooner after the fire started to cool to help keep my tanks between 170* & 180* and not pull water from my tanks back to the boiler. We will see if this helps keep the tanks up to temp longer?

Rob

For me it depends on the condition of my tanks. I change my launch temp regularly. Today I came home from work and my lack of burning last night wasted my storage during the day today. So my top tank was at 130 at the top. Once I got the fire burning again I set the pump launch to 144 since I might as well start moving water around if it's warmer than my tanks. But if my tanks are in good shape I'll do like you do, set it to 170 and let it ride....

I set mine at 170 as I've found that the boiler runs better at 170 and above. I don't have any water leave the boiler untill it is 180. It seems like when the temp is low (140 to 160) It doesn't gasify as well. At 170 and above it cooks. I think it's because with the water temp low the wood doesn't breakdown as fast. Just my thoughts.
leaddog

stee6043 said:
For me it depends on the condition of my tanks. I change my launch temp regularly. Today I came home from work and my lack of burning last night wasted my storage during the day today. So my top tank was at 130 at the top. Once I got the fire burning again I set the pump launch to 144 since I might as well start moving water around if it's warmer than my tanks. But if my tanks are in good shape I'll do like you do, set it to 170 and let it ride....

Yeah that is a good idea...... I let my tanks get to 120* the other day and 2 good fills and I was back to 170*ish

I have my pump turn on at the default 144F but I have the pump rigged so that it will only come on if the boiler temp is higher than my storage temp. If I have high temp tanks, then no pump until the boiler passes that temp.

Dean

I play games with mine. When the flue temp passes 200 and the combustion temp is less than 120, I know that a fire was just started. I crank up the storage circulator and the EKO circulator to flush all the cold water out of the system and replace it with hot water from storage so that the boiler has a head start on getting up to temperature.

Once the boiler outlet rises above the boiler inlet, I shut off the storage circ and open my bypass zone valve so that water recirculates through the boiler. I'll keep this going until I reach 160 at the outlet, then start opening zone valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.