Temperature monitoring throughout the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have one that only has three channels but it helps to keep an eye on the temp in the crawl space where the water system is. Usually the batteries tend to die in the middle of winter though ... a pain since it is an exterior entrance to the crawl space.

Reactions: tlc1976
I have one that only has three channels but it helps to keep an eye on the temp in the crawl space where the water system is. Usually the batteries tend to die in the middle of winter though ... a pain since it is an exterior entrance to the crawl space.

That's exactly what I did at the old house, but with 2 separate indoor/outdoor units I got from resales. One probe for outside temp, one probe for crawl space temps right at the heart of the plumbing where pipes always froze first. I was told lithium batteries would last longer in the cold, but never tried them, as it wasn't that difficult to get down there.

One of the first years I was there a pipe developed a slow spraying leak and when I opened the trap door the humidity increase was very noticeable. So I bought a standalone humidity alarm but never got around to installing it. But I never had another leaking pipe down there either.

Reactions: Lake Girl