Temperature monitoring, what do you use ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
Wondering what type of temperature monitoring everyone uses. The gauge on top of my tank never seems to get above 165. I know the water is hotter than that because the gauge on the return line in the shed reads 180- 185 most of the time. Why would That temp be more than the gauge on top of the tank or even that of the oil boiler which i've never seen above 175. Does anyone know of a good accurate stick on temp sensor. Oh and yes, I have purged the air from the probes.

You know what I've done - you don't want to go there....

I suspect that measuring tank top temps is hard because any attachment point will be cooled by conduction to the outside world. A well is ideal, and you probably want to get to a point a foot or so below the top to get away from 'skin effects' - there's heat transfer and convective cells happening near the tank surfaces. Of course, retrofitting a well is probably not an option. Do you have a spare threaded port?

I borrowed a digital temperature display unit from work and connected three type J thermocouples to the outside of the steel discharge pipe, Pex lines to and from the house. I need to insulate where the thermocouples are connected to get a more accurate reading but it is pretty good as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.