temperature output from your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenc0322

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2011
long Island NY
I am looking to see what temperature people are reading from there stoves I know there are a million different variables just looking for a comparison my stove on low to medium is around 175

I only checked it with a basic meat thermometer once last year. Can't remember the stove temp setting I had but I do know it was in the 250-260 range. With your harman, the convection discharge air temp will depend on room/stove mode and what setting the stove temp dial is turned to along with the convection blower setting. Less air = higher temp. CYA note - This does not mean that you will get more heat with a slower convection blower setting.

P61a stove temp mode 2.5 with distribution fan on high burning Somersets/Turman mix i measured 278. This is with a multimeter with a thermocouple held 2" in front of the stove in the airstream of the blower.

I've had (if I remember correctly) 292 with the Englander on 2-3

Thanks

Right now? Using only my back side as the temp gauge; Hotter then the Hades of Hell! Somersets Rock!

Asbestos britches and t shirt?

Some pellets I can hold my hand in front of the blower and sure it's warm but not HOT. Some pellets almost burn you.

I am looking to see what temperature people are reading from there stoves I know there are a million different variables just looking for a comparison my stove on low to medium is around 175

Since I have the same stove and the same enclosure I would bet there is more chance of apples and pears in our numbers than Apple and oranges.

Again everything is dependent on conditions. Yesterday Circulation on full, Room temp mode, damn cold outside and the max feed rate at 3 the convection temp was 173. with a "dirty stove".

The stove is due tomorrow for a full internal cleaning and a treatment with the leaf blower.

I know that for three days after a full cleaning I can see 10 to 15 degrees warmer circulation air then over the next week the temp drops as Flyash coats the exchangers.

Again all things being equal 175 is good....

Reactions: glenc0322
My daily burner is an Englander 25 PDVC.
I usually take 2 readings at different points, using different methods.
Point 1 stove metal temp (yellow arrow in pic) is taken with a infrared laser thermonitor, held at 4" distance from stove .
Point 2 blower air temp (blue arrow in pic) is taken with a K-Type Dry Bulb Thermocouple, held at 4" distance from stove blower port.

This evenings readings:
Point 1 = 409*
Point 2 = 205*
Pellet Brand: Pres-to-Logs
Stove settings = Heat Range 1, Blower Speed 2, bottom three buttons = LFF 2, LBA 4, AOT 1

25 pdvc - Heat Reading Points.JPG

K typeThermocoupler between my main pellets(Henry County Hardwoods) and the "White Lightnings"
Here is what I came up with---This was on a 2006 Harman P-38 blower on max and Feed Rate on 3."White Lightning"---212 degrees and "Henry County"---186.8. Probe was 1 inch from middle blower tube...

Thanks for all the replies

I have a HarmanXXV and don't get the same heat. Barefoots burn hotter then any other pellet. The rest seem about the same.
Interesting. Do you have a thermometer that you can mount a couple inches away from the convection air discharge? If so could you report your findings?

Diferent pellet brands WILL make a difference with the temp readings you will get.

Friday evening I posted the info below.

My daily burner is an Englander 25 PDVC.
I usually take 2 readings at different points, using different methods.
Point 1 stove metal temp (yellow arrow in pic) is taken with a infrared laser thermonitor, held at 4" distance from stove .
Point 2 blower air temp (blue arrow in pic) is taken with a K-Type Dry Bulb Thermocouple, held at 4" distance from stove blower port.

This evenings readings:
Point 1 = 409*
Point 2 = 205*
Pellet Brand: Pres-to-Logs
Stove settings = Heat Range 1, Blower Speed 2, bottom three buttons = LFF 2, LBA 4, AOT 1

Saturday morning I filled the hopper with "Greenway" Pellets, these readings were obtained this morning using the exact same methods and stove settings as mentioned above:

Point 1 = 455*
Point 2 = 251*

Diferent pellet brands WILL make a difference with the temp readings you will get.
Maybe with your stove, but a Harman pellet stove equipped with an ESP, set at the same settings, shouldn't produce different temperatures. Read the link I posted above.

My sister in law insisted on a Harman when they got a pellet stove, about 3 years ago.

I think the model that they bought was a P68, I don't know if has a "ESP" device or not, BUT I do know that they DO get different temp readings with different brands of pellets they have burned in it.

Maybe with your stove, but a Harman pellet stove equipped with an ESP, set at the same settings, shouldn't produce different temperatures. Read the link I posted above.

Just got off of the phone with my brother about the diffference in the temps that I posted about his Harman.

He CORRECTED me, he said that his stove will keep the same heat settings with just about any brand of pellet that he uses,.

BUT he added some brands of pellets will burn more, while other brands will burn less to maintain the heat setting he keeps his stove set at.

In his opion different pellet brands DO make a difference in the amount (tons) needed per season to heat his home.

Reactions: SwineFlue
Status
Not open for further replies.