Temperature readings...laser, traditional etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiyahBurnah

Dec 22, 2014
Vermont
So I'm new to all this and I want to make sure I'm optimizing my stove (jotul cb3). I have a magnetic temp gauge on the pipe and I got a laser temperature gauge.

Weird thing is...when I point the gauge on the top of the stove, it is generally higher than the pipe temp and depending on how far away I am from the stove the temp reading on the laser thermometer varies wildly...like from 600 degrees at 2 feet to 400 at 5 feet...

What am missing?

Here is the stove (wood isn't generally stacked there) I put it there while I was moving stuff around and stove wasn't in use) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420319389.963212.jpgand the thermometer. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420319337.201481.jpg

Last edited:
Most IR guns are "calibrated" at a certain distance. Mine is 12- 18 inches I believe. The further away you have the gun the lower the temp would register.

The gun uses IR technology to get the temp. (infrared) It is NOT the laser that takes the temp. The laser is ONLY for a more precise aiming point.
(you can actually turn off the laser and still get readings).

Your stove will give off many different readings depending on the area /spot on which you aim the gun. The steel has density variations and there are many other factors inside the stove that will give a lot of different readings. Find the hot spot and use that as a MAX.

Your stove can and will have higher temps at times than your pipe. At a fresh fire, the pipe will be hotter than the stove, then that should reverse. (with the stove being hotter than the pipe). You don't want all the heat going in the pipe anyway.

Nice stove!
Now go chase the wife around with that new gun.;lol

Most IR guns are "calibrated" at a certain distance. Mine is 12- 18 inches I believe. The further away you have the gun the lower the temp would register.

The gun uses IR technology to get the temp. (infrared) It is NOT the laser that takes the temp. The laser is ONLY for a more precise aiming point.
(you can actually turn off the laser and still get readings).

Your stove will give off many different readings depending on the area /spot on which you aim the gun. The steel has density variations and there are many other factors inside the stove that will give a lot of different readings. Find the hot spot and use that as a MAX.

Your stove can and will have higher temps at times than your pipe. At a fresh fire, the pipe will be hotter than the stove, then that should reverse. (with the stove being hotter than the pipe). You don't want all the heat going in the pipe anyway.

Nice stove!
Now go chase the wife around with that new gun.;lol
Yeah, for the life of me I can't find the range/distance for mine...I'm guessing most are 12-18"??

I agree with what was said. Better check the manual that came with the stove. It looks like you may be a bit to close with distance to combustibles dimension.

I agree with what was said. Better check the manual that came with the stove. It looks like you may be a bit to close with distance to combustibles dimension.

Behind the stove is brick over cement chimney. Are you talking about the front? I definitely need a hard floor cover or, at the very least, a non combustible half round rug.

I got the same one as gift. from 4', I hit the spot just above my magnetic pipe temp gauge and it read the same with the gun. not saying the $18 magnetic temp is accurate, but little surprised that both read about the same temp off the stove pipe.

Behind the stove is brick over cement chimney. Are you talking about the front? I definitely need a hard floor cover or, at the very least, a non combustible half round rug.

You got me chucking. The wood stacked within that distance is a problem. If you get that stove cranking, I wouldn't sleep at night.

You got me chucking. The wood stacked within that distance is a problem. If you get that stove cranking, I wouldn't sleep at night.

Yup . . . I too noticed the wood stacked within inches of the woodstove. Would not be found in my house.

Good lord. Lol.

I said in the initial post AND quoted again after someone mentioned it, the wood was only there as I was moving stuff around the other day. Stove wasn't being used. obviously I wouldn't keep wood there.

Edit: generally I keep propane tanks where the wood is...is that bad?

Last edited:
Good lord. Lol.

I said in the initial post AND quoted again after someone mentioned it, the wood was only there as I was moving stuff around the other day. Stove wasn't being used. obviously I wouldn't keep wood there.

Edit: generally I keep propane tanks where the wood is...is that bad?

Hehheh . . . some of us obviously aren't so good with the whole reading comprehension thing. ;) :)

And yes . . . wood near the stove is bad. Propane is fine. ;) :) Just be sure to make sure you open up the tanks to allow the propane to air out . . . I hear that's helpful to do once in a while. ;)

Hehheh . . . some of us obviously aren't so good with the whole reading comprehension thing. ;) :)

And yes . . . wood near the stove is bad. Propane is fine. ;) :) Just be sure to make sure you open up the tanks to allow the propane to air out . . . I hear that's helpful to do once in a while. ;)

No worries. I knew the minute I posted that pic people would see it and scold me!

Reactions: firefighterjake
Sorry I missed it in your original post. Just a real dangerous practice we have seen here before.

I have the same IR as you. My dad doesnt burn wood and lives on the west coast of BC and is a curious guy so wonders what the road temp is while walking his dog, what temp his dashboard is in the summer, suspects a wall might be cold,,, you get the idea. He was here in the Rockies during Christmas a few years back so i ordered the same one as what you and I have and was impressed when we compared the two how close they were in calibration even though mine was a year older than his new one. When I measure my PE 27 I measure fairly close to the collar on the stove top and when things are rolling nicely Im ok with seeing a stove top temp of 700 f but wouldn't want to see that on my stove pipe. The further away you go with this thing the more general a reading you will get. As a side note we compared IR snow temps on the sides of our driveways once while we were talking on the phone and Vancouver island snow was close to melting compared to rocky mountain snow. fun toys id have to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.