Temperatures in the gasification chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Is they a way to measure the temperatures in the gasification chamber?

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=199
I thought of sticking a probe in there and then running the wire out the back clean out door. I figure the rope gasket would seal around the wire.
Do you think the wire can handle the heat?

Am I crazy, stupid or both? Wait don't answer that!

I have measured the temperatures in the secondary chamber of my effecta lambda 35 boiler using a high temp thermocouple and data logger.

During the burn the temperatures ranged from 1800-1900 with a peak of 2,000 F.

It is difficut to get the probe exactly at the hottest part of the flame as the flame will change during the burn.

My boiler has an observation window in the secondary chamber door and thus I simply unscrewed this window, screwed in a modified pipe fitting which had a hole in it for the thermocouple.

Thanks,

Brian

Effecta Boiler User said:
I have measured the temperatures in the secondary chamber of my effecta lambda 35 boiler using a high temp thermocouple and data logger.

During the burn the temperatures ranged from 1800-1900 with a peak of 2,000 F.

It is difficut to get the probe exactly at the hottest part of the flame as the flame will change during the burn.

My boiler has an observation window in the secondary chamber door and thus I simply unscrewed this window, screwed in a modified pipe fitting which had a hole in it for the thermocouple.

Thanks,

Brian

Sweet. I wish the Wood Gun had an observation window. for the secondary burn as well as the primary combustion chamber. I feel so blind.
Do have a link for the thermocouple you used? So how does a thermocouple work compared to a probe? They dont really come in contact with any flame, do they? Does a probe HAVE to come in contact with a flame or can it pick up heat from its surroundings.

Too bad more boilers don't have the little window in the lower chamber. With the little window in the lower door the flame color tells me the temp accurately enough to determine the overall health of the burn. But that doesn't help you.

Am I crazy, stupid or both? Wait don’t answer that!
:lol: Ah c'mon. I wanted to answer that. :coolmad:

Gasifier said:
Am I crazy, stupid or both? Wait don’t answer that!

:lol: Ah c'mon. I wanted to answer that. :coolmad:

I'm sure you did!

Hey brother wood gun owner. Hows it goin? How much wood have you burned since being online?
I seem to be eating wood quickly!

Hey Mike. I have been burning since October 1st. The whole month of October was one fire a day most of the time. Heat up Gun and tank, let it go out. Repeat the next day. November was a lot of the same, but two fires on quite a few of the days in that month. Some of the colder days I would just load the chamber and let it cycle on and off. When the temps are regularly below 40 degrees there is enough demand to keep the boiler running 24/7. I do not keep track of it precisely, but I believe I have burned through somewhere between 5 to 5-1/2 face cord. But like I said, that is a very rough guess. Needless to say, I am glad that we have had a very mild November, and so far, a mild December. Looks like the cold is finally coming though. I think I said that several times this year already though. :lol:

Unfortunately, I did read a news story the other day about what is going to happen to the Adirondacks if the temperatures continue to rise. Not going to be good. But that is a whole other discussion for another forum. Later.

The sensor that will record the temps you are going to observe would typically be a type k thermocouple, and since this will be exposed to flame you would want a ceramic sheath to isolate the thermocouple from the flame. Probes can be had in many lengths, only the tip senses temp, so if you had a probe long enough to penetrate through the boiler wall into the secondary chamber, then you would not require special wire jacketing for thermal protection. Usally a small hole is drilled and tapped for a compression fitting that the thermocouple passes through and is tightened to hold it in place and seal off gasses. If you removed the sensor and fitting a small bolt will seal the hole. make sure you are clear of any water jacketing ! a simple thermocouple reading or datalogging device can display and record device. all this stuff can be at omega engineering. High secondary burn temps are fun to watch, but realistically most all temps over 1300degf are clean burning.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
How will you use the data?

Mmmmm.... I don't know! I just want to be able to say I know how hot it is in there. :coolsmile:

Actually I think it might help me know how it burns with the damper in certain positions or with different species of wood and with different sizes of splits.

Truthfully I'm far from a scientist and think there are to many variables and conditions that would effect any of the research and I would start to overload my brain, fill my allready full schedule with just one more thing to do, causing me to stop and never look at it again, and therefore, make it all a waste of time and money. At least for me.

But it would still be cool to show someone who doesn't know anything a really cool gizmo!

Gasifier said:
Hey Mike. I have been burning since October 1st. The whole month of October was one fire a day most of the time. Heat up Gun and tank, let it go out. Repeat the next day. November was a lot of the same, but two fires on quite a few of the days in that month. Some of the colder days I would just load the chamber and let it cycle on and off. When the temps are regularly below 40 degrees there is enough demand to keep the boiler running 24/7. I do not keep track of it precisely, but I believe I have burned through somewhere between 5 to 5-1/2 face cord. But like I said, that is a very rough guess. Needless to say, I am glad that we have had a very mild November, and so far, a mild December. Looks like the cold is finally coming though. I think I said that several times this year already though. :lol:

Unfortunately, I did read a news story the other day about what is going to happen to the Adirondacks if the temperatures continue to rise. Not going to be good. But that is a whole other discussion for another forum. Later.

GASSER, WHERE did you read that temperature rise article? I dont believe Im far from you..Im near Malone. I have a small sugarbush...worried of what is going to happen to the maples.

barkeater

secondary burn temps, some things are obvious, less moisture content the faster rise in temp, throw cold or wet wood for a midburn reload and watch how fast the temp will drop and how slow to return to temp as opposed to dry wood. If your boiler is puffing, starving for air, the temp will drop, different wood species will hold the temp for a longer time than others. balancing primary/ secondary air by watching the temp rise or fall. as long as you are at it , flue temp has a wealth of info also

The Tarm has a sight glass in the bottom chamber door. I replaced it with a 12" capped piece of 3/4 black pipe filled with high temp cement. The K thermocouple was inside touching the cap. I routed the wire through the cement and pipe to the sight glass hole. This contraption lasts a few weeks before it burns to dust. I measured a 2100 deg. high. I thought having this ability to read the temp. in the chamber would help me know the best air settings. It didn't. There are too many other variables eg: wood moisture, type, position in the boiler at a given time, draft etc. I did learn that anything you put below better be well protected or it will vaporize! There is something to be said for actually watching the temp go from 70 to 2100. It was good entertainment (I'm retired) for about 3-4 weeks while it lasted.

No sense to putting that in the Atmos as I doubt it reaches 1500 degrees. The Atmos has a large low velocity nozzle as the boiler is designed to natural draft up to 70 percent output on power failure. A side benefit is the secondary chamber has it real easy & I dont get any deterioration of the lower ceramic, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.