temporary fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I'm realizing how bad my chimney is! I can kill a good fire just by closing the doors with the air open 100% The problem is I don't have the cash for a stainless liner right now but will in a 3-4 months. I need to run this insert for heat before I have the cash. It vents into a 11x11 masonry flue. The chimney is half indoors and half out. It's about 16ft from the bottom of the fire box to the top.

Can I use single wall black pipe as a temporary flue till the money rolls in? The old owners used the old insert as-is for over ten years, don't now how with all the draft issues. I inspected the chimney and cleaned it very well this year and as long as I've lived here with out any issues.

I've heard I could but be ready to replace due to rust in a short time which is ok because I want the stainless.

Wasting time? totally unsafe? must be safer than venting into the chimney as-is?

Thanks

Some questions...

Is the wood well seasoned (try a bundle of kiln dried from the supermarket if you're not sure)?
How old is the stove?
Do you have a 'slammer' (no vent pipe, just the insert in fireplace with surround)?

ya it's good and dry. and ya it's slammed in. the old insert i removed was in this way, i know better now but strapped on cash. It's a little buck 20+years. got it for free from my uncle, really good shape, surface rust that i removed and painted with new gaskets all around.
the insert i removed had the same problems but had other issues 0 air control not that it would matter. The chimney is not much higher than the roof lline and in about 12 from the peak. I also have large pines very close to the house, I get down drafts and such.

My other stove functions great, I installed that one myself to manufacturer specs, no problems. I have 15 yrs exp with all sorts of construction so I feel comfortable with installing things right but just can't swing the 700 i need for this right now. It will get done just need more time and heat. catch 22

I got a 6' X 30' liner for under $500 this week, if you wanna know where pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.